X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
    That he did. Now, letsee...

The DEC VX40 would be a Multia/UDB mobo...

deanjo, what timeframe would this doing Linux on an Alpha machine be in?
    late 1995, kernel 1.2 days IIRC, maybe a bit later. It was towards the tail end of university.
    Last edited by deanjo; 28 May 2007, 01:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by glussier View Post
      Earlier you wrote that you started on Corel linux.
      The question was what was the first DISTRO, building from ftp source I wouldn't consider a distro.
      Last edited by deanjo; 28 May 2007, 01:27 AM.

Comment

Surprising that someone building his own distro from scratch, would be a Corel linux user. Hope that Corel linux was not has buggy as Corel Draw.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
          The question was what was the first DISTRO, building from ftp source I wouldn't consider a distro.
          Considering that the DISTRO that I mentioned predates Alpha work... >:-)

Anyhow, I've done the same sort of thing you're describing- made my own distribution for embedded purposes on several occasions in the past. Some for x86, some for MIPS.

Heh... So your first distribution was Corel Linux... Not too shabby for a start.

Comment

Originally posted by glussier View Post
            Surprising that someone building his own distro from scratch, would be a Corel linux user. Hope that Corel linux was not has buggy as Corel Draw.
            Actually, Corel Linux is what Xandros originated from. It was not the half-hearted attempt that Draw for Linux was. Decent distribution, really- just not my cup of tea.

Comment

debian 0.93r6 in may of 96 or 97 i cant remember, now i'm using ubuntu.

Comment

Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
                Actually, Corel Linux is what Xandros originated from. It was not the half-hearted attempt that Draw for Linux was. Decent distribution, really- just not my cup of tea.
                The reason I started using it was my Corel rep told me about their endevour into linux and sent me a few copies for evaluation. Your right it was a decent distro for the day. Very refined for a first attempt. It ran a small mail server for 4 years until the old beast of a K6-II finally died (fan failure). Too bad, it had my best uptime by far. Now I use "in the can" solutions for ease of enterprise deployment like suse (Ya, ya cue the boo's and hiss's, hey it works and it works well).

Comment

SuSe 10.0 for about 30 minutes, until I discovered rpm and dumped the damn thing

Comment

While going through my old CDs I found the actual copy of the first distro I mentioned in an earlier post... it was Red Hat 7.1, and the version I bought actually came with a Loki CD that had trial versions of many of their games (which was by far the coolest thing I can remember from that distro).

Comment

first one i tried was SUSE 9.1, so i started playing with linux just after kernel 2.6 arrived on the scene.

tried every SUSE since then and i thin its great.

i currently use a SUSE 10.1 laptop for work.

also played around with Ubuntu/Kubuntu, mandriva and a few others.

also played around with Sabayon a fair bit.
                      Last edited by R3MF; 21 June 2007, 07:16 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X