fglrx 11.1 released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by grigi View Post
    Because with all the advancements in composition, they (the composite writers) couldn't give a rats arse about getting tear-free to work.
    Now the driver developers have to work-around some other arrogant developers bad code.

Note that nothing linux with modern hardware, I have, has tear free that works reliably. Not my Nvidia 9500gt notebook (the worst offender), my Ati 4850 desktop, nor the intel G31 desktop.
    Strangely the ancient box with Geforce 6150 works flawlessly...
    Same here, my 9500GT was a step back from my older 7600GS. My wild guess is that nvidia cards up to 7x00 had a dedicated 2d engine that could vsync with little performance loss. 8x00 and up ditched the 2d engine and use the 3d engine for everything (and forcing vsync there could have a larger impact).

That said, my X1950 and my 4850 vsync correctly when used with radeon. Intel and nvidia drivers can generally vsync but may fail sometimes. Fglrx and nouveau cannot (couldn't) vsync at all.

Finally, no driver vsyncs when the monitor is rotated. (11.1 don't work here but I hope that the new fglrx tearfree feature can finally fix that).

Comment

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
      my 9500GT was a step back from my older 7600GS.
      I was running Compiz so that maybe why our results differ but from the 7600GS then onto an 8600GT for a while then a 9800GT in addition to another system with a 7600GT and the HTPC with an 8400GS I never had v-sync issues.

Actually I should qualify that. I did at one stage, but that was for a very, very good reason. For a short while I ran a dual head system with two differently sized screens. Both screens ran at different refresh rates. There's no Linux solution at the moment that v-syncs both screens together when they're of different refresh rates.

When I began running two screens of the same refresh rate the problem went away.

Comment

one question:
        is nobody else pissed by the fullscreen opengl bugs with fglrx?
        this drives me nuts.
        they had it fixed in one release in last july and undid the fix in august.
        can we somehow get the fglrx devs to prioritize this bug?

Comment

I also used to be able to spread a Blender window across two monitors without issue. After one of the previous driver releases it broke that and "double screening" the window would crash the machine.

With some superficial testing it looks like I can do it again, except that the window decoration is corrupted when the window is across two monitors. I wonder if it's Compiz or FGLRX at fault with that one.

Comment

Originally posted by mugginz View Post
            I also used to be able to spread a Blender window across two monitors without issue. After one of the previous driver releases it broke that and "double screening" the window would crash the machine.

With some superficial testing it looks like I can do it again, except that the window decoration is corrupted when the window is across two monitors. I wonder if it's Compiz or FGLRX at fault with that one.
            Just resized a Text Editor window across screen boarders which dumped my X session back to GDM.

Comment

Priceless !!!

Originally posted by glxextxexlg View Post
              ...from an orientalist point of view now (and hallelujah i'm not using it) fglrx seems like a modern art piece rather than a driver. Something like this:

maybe amd was inspired by pietro manzoni's late modernist era avangarde work when designing and implementing fglrx. Such a rare gem... :d
              priceless !!!

Comment

Hybrid card support?

Does 11.1 support hybrid video cards?

Comment

Working...
                X