A Bounty For Gallium3D On Haiku OS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
    I checked Haiku out and took a good look at it. Frankly, I don't see the point. You run the same applications on it that you do on Linux (if they run.) Other than that, it has no way of installing software correctly; no installer architecture and no package manager and it's single user. Something you unzip will stay there and you have to hunt down the files as you did in the MS-DOS days.
    Unzip and run most programs for Haiku. Little real need for a package manager actually. You obviously didn't try very hard.

There's a start menu of sorts, something that looks like a task manager and weird window decorations that make using the computer very difficult (maximizing, minimizing, resizing, etc.) A bit brain damaged design. But that's just a window manager anyway, no reason to switch OS for that.
    Its not built on top of linux, its a true hybrid micro kernel. Its not a windows manager on top of a linux kernel. It is its own animal.

maximizing resizing is very simple.

I don't see the point. I think people using Haiku are in the same group of people who still use Amigas and Atari STs: nostalgics. I suppose for some it's cool to install something on a PC today that is a clone of BeOS. But other than that, it's just pointless.

Yeah and here it is being developed anyways. At least users are willing to pay coders.

Comment

Originally posted by kirillkh View Post
      Quite the opposite. This is why it is so successful that I enjoy using it.
      That sentence didn't make a lot of sense.

Comment

Quite the opposite. This is why it is so successful that I enjoy using it.
        its so desktop sucessful that it might have a 1% market share ? if it was a car brand, it'd be out of bussiness.

Comment

That sentence didn't make a lot of sense.
          It wouldn't make a lot of sense if you judged the success of Linux by its adoption instead of its merit.

Comment

It wouldn't make a lot of sense if you judged the success of Linux by its adoption instead of its merit.
            what merit exactly is that ?

Comment

Originally posted by Thatguy View Post
              its so desktop sucessful that it might have a 1% market share ? if it was a car brand, it'd be out of bussiness.
              It's not a car brand, it's an advanced tool for people who know how to use it. Now hand over your geek card and get out of my lawn.

Comment

Originally posted by Thatguy View Post
                Unzip and run most programs for Haiku. Little real need for a package manager actually. You obviously didn't try very hard.
                I unzipped in the wrong place. I had files all over the place.

An OS should either offer installers, a package manager, or some form of application bundle support. Period. I had my share of MS-DOS in past, nobody wants *that* again, lol.

Its not built on top of linux, its a true hybrid micro kernel. Its not a windows manager on top of a linux kernel. It is its own animal.
                Who cares.

Btw, window managers don't run on top of the Linux kernel. They're "their own animals".

How could you, you've become adjusted to endless feature creep.
                No, I just don't see the point or cloning BeOS. Let it die already. The Haiku devs could have spent their time inventing something new and fresh, not re-inventing a dead horse that has nothing to offer by today's standards and that no one wants.

Comment

I unzipped in the wrong place. I had files all over the place.
                  did you follow the directions ?

unzip to /boot/

An OS should either offer installers, a package manager, or some form of application bundle support. Period. I had my share of MS-DOS in past, nobody wants *that* again, lol.
                  seems to be working fine for apple on the MAC without a installer.

Who cares.

Btw, window managers don't run on top of the Linux kernel. They're "their own animals".
                  Yes window managers do run On Top of the linux kernel. you have kernel and then everything on top of it. Like a stack of pancakes.

No, I just don't see the point or cloning BeOS. Let it die already. The Haiku devs could have spent their time inventing something new and fresh, not re-inventing a dead horse that has nothing to offer by today's standards and that no one wants.
                  they had to get to where they wanted to go. Its alot fresher then the unix design. Well some people do want it, obviously judging from the bounty. they even raised money for it.

It has plenty to offer, but maybe it doesn't offer what you want. which BTW is fine.

I like muscle cars, maybe you like station wagons ? Point being we all have our own tastes. If the Devs wanted to work on linux, they would have. Instead they brought us a nice piece of tech that actually runs pretty good for alpha software.

your entitled to your opinion but having been a linux users, I don't see the appeal of linux. I spent more time fixing shit then I did using my computer. Not usually the kernel but everything around it.

So I prefer to use windows XP and Haiku. Its my choice.

If you prefer linux feel free to keep using it. If you like Mac, feel free to use it.

but for god sakes, don't bash the hardwork of others.

Comment

It's not a car brand, it's an advanced tool for people who know how to use it. Now hand over your geek card and get out of my lawn.
                    Pfft son, I have had my geek card likely alot longer then you've been alive. I work in motorola hc11 assembler.

I earned my geek card a long time ago. Maybe you should try cutting your grass.

Comment

where is that merit ?

Comment

Working...
                      X