Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• full screen video with ATi

Hello,

It's been a while since I last watched TV with my laptop but somewhere along the line I've lost the power to watch DVB broadcasts in fullscreen. I'm using Kaffeine (xine engine) but most of the video output drivers seem to crash X or run slow.

I didn't put any thought in to it previously and it ran fine. Is there a preferred driver that I should be using or any other reason why I might have lost any hardware accelleration?

The hardware is a Macbook pro which has an ATi X1600.

Thanks!

Originally posted by mrtom852 View Post
    Hello,

It's been a while since I last watched TV with my laptop but somewhere along the line I've lost the power to watch DVB broadcasts in fullscreen. I'm using Kaffeine (xine engine) but most of the video output drivers seem to crash X or run slow.

I didn't put any thought in to it previously and it ran fine. Is there a preferred driver that I should be using or any other reason why I might have lost any hardware accelleration?

The hardware is a Macbook pro which has an ATi X1600.

Thanks!

What driver are you using now? Try using the latest (8.36).
    Michael Larabel
    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

8.35 has way better video playback acceleration than 8.36

Comment

Hi,

Sorry for the late reply. I do have the latest drivers but it also seems as though I have no XVideo support.
        I'm running Debian unstable and had to do something strange to get the drivers to work with Xorg 7.2 so maybe it didn't work properly.

Comment

Doh! I meant xorg 1.3

Comment

So are the drivers working for you or not? Did you do the "hack" to get X.Org 1.3 support? Otherwise you'll just need to wait a few days for 8.37.
            Michael Larabel
            https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Ah, turns out that fglrx wasn't even loading so I had to reinstall the drivers again. I'm not used to X failing over to use another video driver!

Video plays quite nicely now :-P

Comment

Working...
              X