Page 37 of 41 FirstFirst ... 273536373839 ... LastLast

Thread: AMD's opensource lies exposed

Quote Originally Posted by BlackStar View Post
    Being pedantic about GNU/Linux vs Linux marks you as a zealot at best and as a troll at worst. That term never caught on outside FSF purist circles, mainly because it was coined for retarded reasons.
    Ergo, you are falling for an insidious marketing trick.
    not really from an pure technically point of view its really the gnu-OS because the linux kernel is gnu-GPL license to.

the hole system only exists in the way we got the system today because of the GNU-GPL.

if someone call it GNU-GPL system its technically correct but but BUT humans are stupid and the human language are designed for the stupid masses means if the stupid masses call it linux then its linux.

and "FSF purist circles" try to fix the stupid dump masses its a mission impossible.

and "FSF purist circles" try to fix the stupid dump masses its a mission impossible.
    The masses you belittle are PEOPLE! And if they have a problem with a shitty amd linux driver (and they have most of the time) its my problem too! You keep living in your crystal elitist tower belittling people while day by day get lonely, and die there shitting you elitist moron!

Quote Originally Posted by xiando View Post
    I WANT SOME! Is it only available in Germany? :-)

Quote Originally Posted by D0pamine View Post
    So most of the software DOES NOT come from the FREE SOFTWARE FOUNDATION ?
    No. Not by a long shot.

Quote Originally Posted by D0pamine View Post
    The fact that most of the 'linux' operating system ( bash, glibc and so on ) is the work of the GNU project mean absolutely nothing to you?
    No it isn't.

This doesn't mean that the FSF and the GNU project are not very important parts of the Linux ecosystem.

Quote Originally Posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
    No it isn't. This doesn't mean that the FSF and the GNU project are not very important parts of the Linux ecosystem.
    Here's the problem :

calling the OS distribution "Linux" is wrong...
    GNU/Linux is bit closer but still wrong...
    GNU/Linux/X/DRI/Mesa is another bit closer but *still* wrong...
    GNU/Linux/X/DRI/Mesa/Gnome/KDE/<50 other things> is starting to get close, but is also impractically long to type or say...

... so people just use the term "Linux" knowing it actually means "a whole lot of different software running on the Linux kernel" because that works and nobody has come up with a better name yet.

BTW I've read 37 pages of thread and haven't found any actual AMD opensource lies yet, did I miss something juicy ?

BTW I've read 37 pages of thread and haven't found any actual AMD opensource lies yet, did I miss something juicy ?
    Here you are:

http://itknowledgeexchange.techtarge...phics-drivers/
    http://www.osnews.com/story/17902/AM...aphics_Drivers

Quote Originally Posted by bridgman View Post
    Only a picture of yourself in a leopard print thong, posing with a midget, a donkey, and some chick dressed as Little Bo Peep.
    *Pause*

OK. I'm going to do another git pull and rebuild Mesa now.

I'm not getting the "lies" part though. The OSNews link even has this on the same page :

http://www.osnews.com/story/24222/AM...Source_Support

It links back to Phoronix, of course, but still looking for what you consider to be a lie.