Page 3 of 41 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: AMD's opensource lies exposed

Quote Originally Posted by crazycheese View Post
    Why, every single nvidia card has 3dfx legacy. *burp*
    yea, and think about that for more than a second crazy....

it may be a bit cheesy , but they did buy All the 3dfx legacy IP including that real long lasting OSS innovation everyone's still using to write those derivative drivers for x64 etc.

you cant get away from it, that original massive OSS code is still littered around masses of OSS code even today, even though 3dfx is no more, and few people still have that hardware ( i do, and could use it in any 5v pci slot SBC [Single Board Computer], or 'IBM PC' if i could remember which old x86 board had the 5v and not the later 3.3v)

if Nvidia had a mind to finally provide OSS then AMD would be very put out even with their far longer time (this time around, remember they did it once before and removed it) , its hard to compete with that 3dfx legacy even today when you dont own the patents and IP.

Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    AMD are kind of OK and have some form of derivative of a real OSS plan that may work, here's the docs now go and do our work please.
    You do realize that in addition to the documentation dump, AMD also dumps a load of code into the public repos, giving each new generation of hardware a basic level of support using the current Xorg/Mesa codebase. AMD is getting closer to having this code in the communities hands prior to hardware launch, and if I'm not mistaken actually achieved this for their first Fusion product. I imagine that their goal is to have this code hit the distros prior to hardware launch, so they are going to be playing catch-up for a while longer.

More advanced levels of support (OpenGL 3/4, OpenCL, etc) have been left to the OSS community mainly because the required infrastructure to provide the support isn't there yet. This infrastructure is slowly evolving in the Gallium3D project within Mesa to support the more advanced features of newer cards. As new features are added to Mesa, you can see AMD employees updating the respective bits in their drivers to support the change.

I'd have to say that AMD's level of support is more than "kind of OK", and that they are doing an excellent job at providing OSS support for their hardware.

damn edit bla bla

the point being ,its long been known that If your a Hardware vendor, and providing OSS as saleable/PR tick etc then you better be sure you know and understand the 3dfx legacy IP lesson.

and be sure to get co-ownership rights of all that OSS IP, or better yet get your in house developer's to write the core of that OSS IP code so you have a sell-able and long term Return On Investment, or even just the simple option to release that code under another licence as you please (leaving the small operator and end user to be your advocates as you keep them happier for instance)....

Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    the point being ,its long been known that If your a Hardware vendor, and providing OSS as saleable/PR tick etc then you better be sure you know and understand the 3dfx legacy IP lesson.
    Maybe I'm missing something, but AFAICS the "3dfx legacy IP lesson" is that it was a lot easier to support open source development before DRM was a big issue.

Quote Originally Posted by bridgman View Post
    Maybe I'm missing something, but AFAICS the "3dfx legacy IP lesson" is that it was a lot easier to support open source development before DRM was a big issue.
    Maybe with AMD's hardware design that is true but on the flipside intel seems to be able to do it and they should have the same DRM concerns.

I still don't get how accelerated video decoding should interfere with copyprotection hideous scheme. But the topmost of what I don't understand is how this crap landed on GPU "for free".

Quote Originally Posted by deanjo View Post
    Maybe with AMD's hardware design that is true but on the flipside intel seems to be able to do it and they should have the same DRM concerns.
    Does Intel's video support actually handle decoding the raw h.264 streams, or does it just provide some helper blocks for decoding portions of the standard?

Either way, Intel's hardware is simplistic shit compared to NVIDIA's/AMD's.

AMD should totally make sure their DRM-enabled video decoder is "secure" and works entirely as a block box with an open public interface -- that's just plain good design for any hardware or software project, period -- but that doesn't make comparing AMD's hardware to Intel's any less invalid.

Quote Originally Posted by elanthis View Post
    Does Intel's video support actually handle decoding the raw h.264 streams, or does it just provide some helper blocks for decoding portions of the standard?
    AFIK it is a fairly feature rich solution with mocomp, idct, deblocking, intra-frame prediction, vld and bitstream processing support.

Quote Originally Posted by bridgman View Post
    perhaps you are, then again it could be a bait and switch

im not sure what Direct Rendering Manager (DRM) has to do with any of this as relates to "the 3dfx legacy IP lesson" , but you can blame the X Window System and UNIX before that if you have a problem i guess....

Oh you mean Digital Rights Management i suppose as
    Data Reference Model, Data Resource Management, Digital Radio Mondiale, Distributed Resource Manager, Dynamic Rich Media, and Data Relationship Managementdont dont really fit ether

well again that's your perspective as a professional (with interest's in open source Cottage and Self catering Caravan Accommodation. Mudgeon Farm ...? etc)

"bridgman:that it was a lot easier to support open source development before DRM was a big issue"

OC AMD,Intel,Nv etc are all big boys in the industry, well AMD not so much since your ex CEO sold off your chip fab etc while your executive board watched and a-greed but still.

you all stood around twiddling your thumb's while the Digital Rights Management collective backed by Hollywood etc put up bogus reasons to push the US Digital Rights Management laws through your congress and so legal system....

the long/short of it as David Birch said when it came to DRM you were all the tech industry's "girlie men" along side the telecom industry "You're too seduced by the content industry, Hollywood"

http://arstechnica.com/old/content/2006/02/6218.ars
    DRM and the tech industry's "girlie men"
    By Jon Stokes | Last updated February 20, 2006 1:25 PM

Quote Originally Posted by glxextxexlg View Post
    The famous argument of AMD spec fanboys is that AMD will allways go on with providing full specs for their hardware while binary blob support can eventually break. In fact the truth is the opposite of it. It appears that the false opensource prophecy can break any time soon:

http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut00..._cost.html#oss

From that text:

Will opensource "drivers" from AMD support OpenGL 3x/4x and video acceleration in the future? Given the patented floating point support in OGL 3 and s3tc and these DRM arrangements, I've my doubts.
    So amd linux users will have half-baked featureless opensource drivers when amd will drop binary driver support for r600/r700 hardware and another waiting period will start for these people to be able to play OilRush.

Wake up.
    why are you even bothering to give trolls a bad name? What if you've got a laptop with an ATI gpu? This information helps nobody other than nvidia and their fan club score some sort of brownie points ( assuming everything you say is true ) go back to neowin plz or do/say something constructive at least