• Show
Clear All

• Come on M$, we want the best Windows 8 ever, we need a clean forum
    ## VGA ##
    AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
    Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

• Originally posted by glxextxexlg View Post
      Xenophobia and discrimination at their best.
      'waaaah - waaah - waaah - my driver isnt as good as it could be'

stop whining, get the specs amd released and get coding rather than bitching on a forum

Comment

And many people on the face of this earth thinks the same. They are end-users, and we need them. Having opensource tools to get the job done and binary blobs to get the hardware to actually work well with those tools are two very different things, which you don't understand.

Ahaaa We found our heretics boys! Let's get'em! They hate everything with a GPL license attached to it, they are the sneaky enemies within, so sooner we get rid of them the better. Attaaack!

What a bigoted mind
        Like I said - you do not understand WHY people are 'bigoted' toward closed software - I can only suggest you read some of the works of Richard Stallman to get a clearer understanding of WHY closed is bad and free ( as in freedom ) is better.

Comment

• 'waaaah - waaah - waaah - my driver isnt as good as it could be'
          stop whining, get the specs amd released and get coding rather than bitching on a forum
          It's not my driver, its your driver. My problem is bad hardware support gets in my way as a developer, hinders software companies' efforts to port software to gnu/linux environment.

Comment

It's not my driver, its your driver. My problem is bad hardware support gets in my way as a developer, hinders software companies' efforts to port software to gnu/linux environment.
            Correction - its a PUBLIC driver, if you don't have the hardware I can only ask you again why comment on a forum for the hardware/software? It is you that has the problem I have my reservations about the status quo which is not ideal but nothing to do with this accusation of deceit - we are where we are and it is up to US as the community to make things better.

Comment

• The GNU/Linux environment does not support OpenGL3.

That is the problem and this is what the open driver developers (including AMD and Intel people) are currently addressing.

Binary blobs are not a part of the GNU/Linux environment, they are a kludgy add-on. They are like Crossover Wine for running Internet Explorer, or the ndiswrapper for running Windows drivers. A temporary duct-tape fix for a serious problem: there is no Free and Open Source solution for OpenGL 3, or for programming modern GPU hardware.

Any real fan of GNU/Linux should be interested in fixing this deficiency instead of calling for even more dependence on Linux-hostile hardware manufacturers.

Comment

• Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
                The GNU/Linux environment does not support OpenGL3.

That is the problem and this is what the open driver developers (including AMD and Intel people) are currently addressing.

Binary blobs are not a part of the GNU/Linux environment, they are a kludgy add-on. They are like Crossover Wine for running Internet Explorer, or the ndiswrapper for running Windows drivers. A temporary duct-tape fix for a serious problem: there is no Free and Open Source solution for OpenGL 3, or for programming modern GPU hardware.

Any real fan of GNU/Linux should be interested in fixing this deficiency instead of calling for even more dependence on Linux-hostile hardware manufacturers.
                This is an issue for the khronos group rather than mesa - they are the group which is comprised of amd/ati , nvidia and many others - we must bear in mind that mesa is not openGL at the end of the day and if the openGL standard has licensing issues then it cannot really be called open - like i said ( but nobody read ) open sourced and free are not the same!

Comment

• Linux-hostile hardware manufacturers.
                  Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

If nvidia is hostile towards linux they wouldn't be releasing good binary drivers for it and like it or not, majority of the linux users use their hardware and drivers. Looking at the figures of all gpu sales worldwide, their choice should be intel, because intel sells more IGPs than any other gpu manufacturer (%50 or so of all gpus) and their drivers are fully open source (but are they good enough is the most important part).

And if there's a hostile-towards-linux company it is amd. They release bad binary drivers with bad kernel xserver support. And they release specs and do nearly nothing to develop a driver out of them. And they eventually binary driver support to their hardware, which sucks in the first place.

Comment

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag..._results&num=1

If nvidia is hostile towards linux they wouldn't be releasing good binary drivers for it and like it or not, majority of the linux users use their hardware and drivers. Looking at the figures of all gpu sales worldwide, their choice should be intel, because intel sells more IGPs than any other gpu manufacturer (%50 or so of all gpus) and their drivers are fully open source (but are they good enough is the most important part).

And if there's a hostile-towards-linux company it is amd. They release bad binary drivers with bad kernel xserver support. And they release specs and do nearly nothing to develop a driver out of them. And they eventually binary driver support to their hardware, which sucks in the first place.
                    Sorry, but that's all bullshit. AMD are most certainly not hostile towards linux. And you're just being an idiotic troll with that comment.

Comment

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag..._results&num=1

FGLRX is not bad at all , its slightly behind nvidia thats true but not by a million miles. Where AMD have excelled is releasing specs for their GPUs. AMD should not be developing the free driver - that is the whole point of releasing the specs - it gives the community ( ie: me and you ) the opportunity to support ourselves rather than relying on the FGLRX devs. Like I said some people commenting on this thread do not understand!

Comment

Working...
                      X