No announcement yet.

AMD's opensource lies exposed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The microcode is not burned into the chip because running it from RAM allows us to have a shorter design cycle -- it lets us avoid having to re-fab the chips if we need to change microcode before launch.

There are a few different kinds of code that all get lumped together as "firmware". Some is horizontal microcode driving hardware state machines, some is really a big chunk of the driver that runs on a general purpose CPU on chip, and there are a few examples in between. Our microcode is closer to the hardware state machine end of the spectrum (where it's really part of the hardware design) but it all gets lumped into the "non-free" repository together.
    Test signature

Comment

• Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
      locked to the refresh rate (60fps) at 1920x1080. On the cheapest r700 budget card on the market.

That's enough for me!

I'd rather have Unigine tech demos not working than have KDE and gvim not working, thank you very much Mr. WorkraFt!
      Yawn.....

Comment

• %&+%&/&%%&/ 60 FPS ^()(!'/^&%(/& That's enough for me!
        Yawn.....
        ROFLMAO! well done... beautiful composition

Comment

• Originally posted by towo2099 View Post
          Then let me ask in other way, why is that firmware not in the chip?
          Putting the firmware on a chip doesn't suddenly make it 'free', it still remains proprietary. Perhaps putting the firmware on a chip will give Debian users a clear conscience, but from a 'freedom' perspective nothing has fundamentally changed.

IMO Debian users and priests should take a good look at what they are doing, understand how ridiculous it is and develop a more sane approach to firmware.

Comment

• Originally posted by deanjo View Post
            Yawn.....

Is that nouveau?

I call bullshit.

If not, who cares?

Comment

• Time for a car analogy:
              If you have a car that is built to open specs, and another one that is rented, but not yours, it's pretty clear which one can be better seen during night, and how long ago the meal was cooked. And after all, that's what counts.

Comment

• Originally posted by pingufunkybeat
                I call bullshit.
                If not, who cares?
                C'mon maan! Relax... Sing a song:

thats what I call beauty

Comment

Is that nouveau?

I call bullshit.

If not, who cares?
                  Lol, can't read the nvidia panel? Nouveau doesn't even support the GTX-580 yet. Suck it up buttercup.

Comment

• Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                    Lol, can't read the nvidia panel? Nouveau doesn't even support the GTX-580 yet. Suck it up buttercup.
                    You say it so proudly, like it's a good thing.

You can't run your hardware using free software. What a loser

I'm going to play some more. You can write a post about how much I miss Unigine Tropics and how my life is meaningless because my processor uses 10W more power to decode an HD stream.

I'll read it once I'm finished using the fantastic FREE and OPEN drivers, which do not exist.

KDE 4.1 was released as a RC recently and will soon be released. While it will be a very usable and stable desktop environment ready to be used almost everywhere most users with NVIDIA cards will n…

Thirty years ago, Linus Torvalds was a 21 year old student at the University of Helsinki when he first released the Linux Kernel. His announcement started, “I’m doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional…)”. Three decades later, the top 500 supercomputers are all running Linux, as are over 70% of all smartphones. Linux is clearly both big and professional.

More drivers have popped up with the mysterious overheating bug, this time affecting Linux, FreeBSD, and Solaris systems.

The nvidia blob is just as buggy and breaks just as often as any other driver. You know it as well as anyone.

At least we have a choice over here in ATI-land.

Comment

You say it so proudly, like it's a good thing.

You can't run your hardware using free software. What a loser

I'm going to play some more. You can write a post about how much I miss Unigine Tropics and how my life is meaningless because my processor uses 10W more power to decode an HD stream.
                      I'm a loser? Your the one that can't come with terms of reality and live in a world "tomorrow will be better, I hope". That is what makes your life meaningless and it is of your own accord. You have the time to waste waiting for tomorrow.

I'll read it once I'm finished using the fantastic FREE and OPEN drivers, which do not exist.
                      Well good for you. I can do the same on closed drivers on the same day that the product is released and with a full feature set.

KDE 4.1 was released as a RC recently and will soon be released. While it will be a very usable and stable desktop environment ready to be used almost everywhere most users with NVIDIA cards will n…

Thirty years ago, Linus Torvalds was a 21 year old student at the University of Helsinki when he first released the Linux Kernel. His announcement started, “I’m doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional…)”. Three decades later, the top 500 supercomputers are all running Linux, as are over 70% of all smartphones. Linux is clearly both big and professional.

More drivers have popped up with the mysterious overheating bug, this time affecting Linux, FreeBSD, and Solaris systems.

The nvidia blob is just as buggy and breaks just as often as any other driver. You know it as well as anyone.
                      Clap, clap, clap. Congratulations you found some bugs. I would post just the kde bugs on the radeon driver for KDE alone but alas there is a post limit size in these forums.

At least we have a choice over here in ATI-land.
                      Of course, drinking koolaid is always a choice.

Comment

Working...
                      X