AMD's opensource lies exposed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD's opensource lies exposed

The famous argument of AMD spec fanboys is that AMD will allways go on with providing full specs for their hardware while binary blob support can eventually break. In fact the truth is the opposite of it. It appears that the false opensource prophecy can break any time soon:

From that text:
    The only way to protect the HFS process therefore is to not release any technical details on the device beyond a minimum required for web site reviews and comparison with other products.
    Will opensource "drivers" from AMD support OpenGL 3x/4x and video acceleration in the future? Given the patented floating point support in OGL 3 and s3tc and these DRM arrangements, I've my doubts.
    So amd linux users will have half-baked featureless opensource drivers when amd will drop binary driver support for r600/r700 hardware and another waiting period will start for these people to be able to play OilRush.

Wake up.

The main conclusion I draw from this is actually that ZDNet consists of a bunch of asswipes

Comment

This, friends, is a textbook definition of FUD.

Back in reality, AMD has released thousands of pages of documentation and tens of thousands of lines of code over a period of several years.

Nvidia has released a patch for X, which was needed to make their drivers work.

Comment

Back in reality, AMD has released thousands of pages of documentation and tens of thousands of lines of code over a period of several years.

Nvidia has released a patch for X, which was needed to make their drivers work.
        And the results? Nvidia's drivers do what they are supposed to do... And amd's opensource support hardly got to the point of opengl 2.1 support with unacceptable performance and bugs. You call this support?

The year was early 2009 when amd dropped support for r300-r500 hardware and Doom3 in 2011 still doesn't run well with r300g drivers. And thats after tremendous amount of hard work done by marek olsak and corbin simpson...

DO NOT BUY AMD/ATI HARDWARE

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
          stop using big red letters. i show you an link about an SGI vs AMD court tropic.

and you don't get the point its SGI fault its the US patent system that hurt opensource and not AMD.

you are just writing FUD a lot if shit out of your mouth.
          Exactly. Maybe worth asking Michael to close/delete this thread?
          Obviously AMD can only do what doesn't hurt it too much, given the patent system it's options are limited and we should thank AMD for at least providing the lots of documentation and source code it already did. We should also thank Nvidia for not objecting to the nouveau effort and for being the only provider of (best) video acceleration on linux (vdpau) and best quality opengl drivers - if not for nvidia's proprietary driver's quality (and vdpau) I wouldn't be using Linux now.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
            Exactly. Maybe worth asking Michael to close/delete this thread?
            No. This would indicate that the OP is right and someone is trying to silence him.

Comment

Originally posted by glxextxexlg View Post
              The famous argument of AMD spec fanboys is that AMD will allways go on with providing full specs for their hardware while binary blob support can eventually break. In fact the truth is the opposite of it. It appears that the false opensource prophecy can break any time soon:

From that text:

Will opensource "drivers" from AMD support OpenGL 3x/4x and video acceleration in the future? Given the patented floating point support in OGL 3 and s3tc and these DRM arrangements, I've my doubts.
              So amd linux users will have half-baked featureless opensource drivers when amd will drop binary driver support for r600/r700 hardware and another waiting period will start for these people to be able to play OilRush.

Wake up.
              wakes up,(being old so needing lots of power naps and so also know's and used so called OSS that was around well before so called Linux OSS even existed or was even called that, aka AmiNet, around that referenced so called "Many small companies, the traditional garage startup" time ).

looks and actually reads the supplied linked text as it good practice to never dismiss people before you check the real facts...

realises it says Auckland New Zealand and is a single personal "Cost Analysis" by a single non legal person after taking notes of a very Old "private security mailing list and had to be somewhat hastily retrofitted for non-security-geeks"

re-read's glxextxexlg post again , just to be sure of its meaning and point....

realises glxextxexlg is a little confused and points him to an equally confused NZ paper , they seem to have a lot of them...

as regards drm, copywrite, and personal Privacy !

confused about copywrite ?, you will be
              Copyright Licensing New Zealand helps everyone who copies and shares anything from books and journals to do so legally. It's all about doing right by our authors!

Comment

Originally posted by popper View Post

as regards drm, copywrite, and personal Privacy !

confused about copywrite ?, you will be
                http://www.copyright.net.nz/
                Heh, your gonna get hammered on your spelling of copyright.

Comment

Nah, I'll keep buying AMD's stuff because I value open source software.

You're free to run whatever you want: closed source drivers, closed source kernel, closed source filesystem, knock yourself out.

I finished Doom3 and the expansion pack using free drivers on my r700, and almost everything I need runs acceptably, and it's open, thanks to AMD's efforts, as well as those of other developets -- that's how OSS works.

But you're trolling again, first you claimed that AMD is NOT releasing documentation, then you switched your argument to "they're releasing lots of documentation, but nobody wants documentation". This sort of circular argumentation is meant to confuse readers and discourage people from getting into pointless arguments with you, which is what you want.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
                    No. This would indicate that the OP is right and someone is trying to silence him.
                    Do you yourself understand what you're saying and the half-logic behind it? Closing it doesn't prove anything, nor is it meant to prove anything. Give me a break, I thought people are sick of FUD and when such a thing pops up I think it's worth closing to spare people's nerves, but if you it's not FUD, than please, go on discussing, I don't mind, just don't use sophisms like the one above.

Comment

Working...
                    X