Page 1 of 41 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 408

Thread: AMD's opensource lies exposed

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    145

    Default AMD's opensource lies exposed

    The famous argument of AMD spec fanboys is that AMD will allways go on with providing full specs for their hardware while binary blob support can eventually break. In fact the truth is the opposite of it. It appears that the false opensource prophecy can break any time soon:

    http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut00..._cost.html#oss

    From that text:
    The only way to protect the HFS process therefore is to not release any technical details on the device beyond a minimum required for web site reviews and comparison with other products.
    Will opensource "drivers" from AMD support OpenGL 3x/4x and video acceleration in the future? Given the patented floating point support in OGL 3 and s3tc and these DRM arrangements, I've my doubts.
    So amd linux users will have half-baked featureless opensource drivers when amd will drop binary driver support for r600/r700 hardware and another waiting period will start for these people to be able to play OilRush.

    Wake up.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    3,796

    Default

    The main conclusion I draw from this is actually that ZDNet consists of a bunch of asswipes

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    5,411

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by glxextxexlg View Post
    The famous argument of AMD spec fanboys is that AMD will allways go on with providing full specs for their hardware while binary blob support can eventually break. In fact the truth is the opposite of it. It appears that the false opensource prophecy can break any time soon:

    http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut00..._cost.html#oss

    From that text:


    Will opensource "drivers" from AMD support OpenGL 3x/4x and video acceleration in the future? Given the patented floating point support in OGL 3 and s3tc and these DRM arrangements, I've my doubts.
    So amd linux users will have half-baked featureless opensource drivers when amd will drop binary driver support for r600/r700 hardware and another waiting period will start for these people to be able to play OilRush.

    Wake up.
    http://www.patentlit.com/2008/05/02/...ati-is-a-draw/

    maybe you are wrong because SGI allready sued ati/amd for that.

    and amd starts fighting on court against SGI and if AMD win the opensource driver can have floading point graphics to.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,929

    Default

    This, friends, is a textbook definition of FUD.

    Back in reality, AMD has released thousands of pages of documentation and tens of thousands of lines of code over a period of several years.

    Nvidia has released a patch for X, which was needed to make their drivers work.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    145

    Default

    Back in reality, AMD has released thousands of pages of documentation and tens of thousands of lines of code over a period of several years.

    Nvidia has released a patch for X, which was needed to make their drivers work.
    And the results? Nvidia's drivers do what they are supposed to do... And amd's opensource support hardly got to the point of opengl 2.1 support with unacceptable performance and bugs. You call this support?

    The year was early 2009 when amd dropped support for r300-r500 hardware and Doom3 in 2011 still doesn't run well with r300g drivers. And thats after tremendous amount of hard work done by marek olsak and corbin simpson...

    DO NOT BUY AMD/ATI HARDWARE

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    5,411

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by glxextxexlg View Post
    [...]
    stop using big red letters. i show you an link about an SGI vs AMD court tropic.

    and you don't get the point its SGI fault its the US patent system that hurt opensource and not AMD.

    you are just writing FUD a lot if shit out of your mouth.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    353

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Qaridarium View Post
    stop using big red letters. i show you an link about an SGI vs AMD court tropic.

    and you don't get the point its SGI fault its the US patent system that hurt opensource and not AMD.

    you are just writing FUD a lot if shit out of your mouth.
    Exactly. Maybe worth asking Michael to close/delete this thread?
    Obviously AMD can only do what doesn't hurt it too much, given the patent system it's options are limited and we should thank AMD for at least providing the lots of documentation and source code it already did. We should also thank Nvidia for not objecting to the nouveau effort and for being the only provider of (best) video acceleration on linux (vdpau) and best quality opengl drivers - if not for nvidia's proprietary driver's quality (and vdpau) I wouldn't be using Linux now.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    3,796

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cl333r View Post
    Exactly. Maybe worth asking Michael to close/delete this thread?
    No. This would indicate that the OP is right and someone is trying to silence him.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    459

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by glxextxexlg View Post
    The famous argument of AMD spec fanboys is that AMD will allways go on with providing full specs for their hardware while binary blob support can eventually break. In fact the truth is the opposite of it. It appears that the false opensource prophecy can break any time soon:

    http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut00..._cost.html#oss

    From that text:


    Will opensource "drivers" from AMD support OpenGL 3x/4x and video acceleration in the future? Given the patented floating point support in OGL 3 and s3tc and these DRM arrangements, I've my doubts.
    So amd linux users will have half-baked featureless opensource drivers when amd will drop binary driver support for r600/r700 hardware and another waiting period will start for these people to be able to play OilRush.

    Wake up.
    wakes up,(being old so needing lots of power naps and so also know's and used so called OSS that was around well before so called Linux OSS even existed or was even called that, aka AmiNet, around that referenced so called "Many small companies, the traditional garage startup" time ).

    looks and actually reads the supplied linked text as it good practice to never dismiss people before you check the real facts...

    realises it says Auckland New Zealand and is a single personal "Cost Analysis" by a single non legal person after taking notes of a very Old "private security mailing list and had to be somewhat hastily retrofitted for non-security-geeks"

    re-read's glxextxexlg post again , just to be sure of its meaning and point....

    realises glxextxexlg is a little confused and points him to an equally confused NZ paper , they seem to have a lot of them...

    http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/courses...pers/cyuen.pdf
    as regards drm, copywrite, and personal Privacy !

    confused about copywrite ?, you will be
    http://www.copyright.net.nz/

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Third Rock from the Sun
    Posts
    6,584

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/courses...pers/cyuen.pdf
    as regards drm, copywrite, and personal Privacy !

    confused about copywrite ?, you will be
    http://www.copyright.net.nz/
    Heh, your gonna get hammered on your spelling of copyright.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •