Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Gentoo-Based Calculate Linux 11 Has Arrived

Phoronix: The Gentoo-Based Calculate Linux 11 Has Arrived

Version 11.0 of Calculate Linux has been released. This release of the Gentoo-based operating system, which we benchmarked last August, brings many improvements to this promising distribution that -- like Sabayon and others -- makes it easier to run Gentoo on desktops and servers...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

How differ from Sabayon? The community really need another Sabayon-like Gentoo-based distribution? I have never tested Calculate, but I will.

Comment

Originally posted by speedygeo View Post
      How differ from Sabayon? The community really need another Sabayon-like Gentoo-based distribution? I have never tested Calculate, but I will.
      It is different.
      I'd say it more like "Easily installed Gentoo, with nice defaults" than distro like Sabayon.

Unfortunately, most documentation is in Russian. At least it's more complete then English version. I also had some hard time to understand how to convert it to plain Gentoo.

Comment

I installed the XFCE version of Calculate and will keep it as secondary linux distro, my main one is still Fedora. I'm not disapointed so far. It is stable and fast.

The English documenation of Calculate is indeed not very comprehensive. Here is the link to it.

I also tried the last Sabayon release two month ago, but I didn't like it much. (A bit) weak stability, compiz, unable to mount encrypted home partition during boot process are things that I didn't like in Sabayon. The Sabayon installer is based on Anaconda and enables encryption of the partitions, but it doesn't encrypt it during the boot process; doesn't ask for the password like Fedora would do

Comment

Originally posted by speedygeo View Post
          How differ from Sabayon? The community really need another Sabayon-like Gentoo-based distribution?
          Well, if the community needs another Debian-based distro (Kubuntu even though there's Ubuntu already), then what's wrong with another Gentoo-based one?

Comment

There is huge difference between Sabayon and Calculate.
            1) Sabayon is not true Gentoo as using Gentoo update and install method is discouraged. Calculate is pure Gentoo, now with binary pool.
            2) Calculate uses own small overlay which is placed over the top of normal portage tree and is not conflicting with Gentoo packages in any way.
            3) You can "downgrade" Calculate to Gentoo, and you can move from normal stage3 Gentoo(or any other else Gentoo) to Calculate via emerge. As if you could apt-get install Debian into Ubuntu and vice versa.
            4) Calculate puts high effort in internationalization. Bug tracker is spoken in English. There is English forum. It sees foreign language as barrier, not as "national feature."
            5) Calculate is backed up by real company and real payed developers.
            6) Calculate improves Gentoo, not settles own way.
            7) Initrd creation schemes in Calculate is automated in terms the needed drivers are checked on kernel build and only them are loaded in initrd, thus minimizing kernel footprint.
            8) If Gentoo is meta-distribution, Calculate is one particular manifestation of that mechanism; Sabayon has "much more used Gentoo" to become itself, where Calculate "is Gentoo built with particular settings and added programs that were offloaded to overlay as well"

Comment

Working...
            X