Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That Was Quick: Here's Linux 2.6.38-rc2 Kernel

Phoronix: That Was Quick: Here's Linux 2.6.38-rc2 Kernel

The Linux 2.6.38 kernel is shaping up to be very exciting even though it's first release candidate arrived just four days ago. Tonight, however, the Linux 2.6.38-rc1 kernel has already been superseded by the Linux 2.6.38-rc2 release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

"about to leave on their annual mecca"

That sentence makes no sense. I recommend 'pilgrimage.'

Comment

How stable is this for a desktop environment? I want to try it out, maybe even stick with it. Can't wait for the stable version . Has anyone tried it? worked on it or rc-1?

Comment

.38 RC1 had too many bugs.

I got too many regression. I saw 1 kernel panic and HPLIP stopped working. So, I has to revered to .37. I need to read what was fixed and then give RC2 a try.

Comment

I've just come to compile it on a regular desktop (Gentoo).

I've notice nothing to report till.
          Let's see.

Comment

with .38 RC2 HPLIP is working again.

Comment

Seems to be a nice kernel so far. Much better than rc1 which only worked on some systems. If you use U or D, you can use my install script for U mainline kernel:

(there are scripts for 32 to 38 there)

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                Seems to be a nice kernel so far. Much better than rc1 which only worked on some systems. If you use U or D, you can use my install script for U mainline kernel:

(there are scripts for 32 to 38 there)
                Mhm, doesn't like nvidia-260.19.21 (via dkms) yet. Looks like the usual mess with include files..

Comment

I tested nvidia 260.19.29, 260.19.36 and 270.18 with that kernel, worked without problems. Also fglrx installed with my script is compatible.

Comment

rear channels for 5.1 profile on Nvidia HD does not work on 2.6.38 RC. A bug report is filed. I reverted to .37 and all 5.1 channels are working fine.

Comment

Working...
                    X