ATI crashes and changes resolution

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ATI crashes and changes resolution

I posted this issue on the Mint forums but got no reply. So I apologize for cross posting.

This was observed on Tux Racer (or whatever name it goes by), running on the new Mint Debian edition (which is basically Debian Squeeze).

Hardware is T30 Thinkpad, Radeon 7500, screen resolution is 1024x768.

When I start Tux Racer, everything looks fine, music plays, menu works. However, when I initiate a race, it crashes, blank screen for a moment, and suddenly my system is now set to 800x600.

If I run in a terminal, I see this:

%%% etracer warning: Attempt to bind to Texture unloaded texture: `b-herring_run_icon'

drmRadeonCmdBuffer: -12. Kernel failed to parse or rejected command stream. See dmesg for more info.

Checking dmesg doesn't tell me anything:

[ 193.838254] [drm:radeon_cs_ioctl] *ERROR* Failed to parse relocation -12!

I'd like to learn about what's happening, and if there's a fix.

John

Sounds like a driver bug. If it still happens with the latest kernel, libdrm and mesa, it would be useful to file a bug.

Comment

The mode change is due to the 3D app changing the mode and then exiting without changing it back due to the command stream getting rejected by the kernel. You can use xrandr to change the mode back. I'd try a newer mesa or kernel and see if that helps.

Comment

Originally posted by rohcQaH View Post
        Sounds like a driver bug. If it still happens with the latest kernel, libdrm and mesa, it would be useful to file a bug.
        Kernel is 2.6.32-5-686. Figuring out how to install a later kernel is probably beyond what I am able/willing to do. But I do appreciate the input, to shed some light on the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
          The mode change is due to the 3D app changing the mode and then exiting without changing it back due to the command stream getting rejected by the kernel. You can use xrandr to change the mode back. I'd try a newer mesa or kernel and see if that helps.
          So the mode change is not really relevant, because if it hadn't crashed, I would never have noticed that this particular portion of the app runs at 800x600. Thanks for the info.

John

Comment

Originally posted by nesredep View Post
            Kernel is 2.6.32-5-686. Figuring out how to install a later kernel is probably beyond what I am able/willing to do.
            It's pretty easy if it's debian based: http://liquorix.net/
            ## VGA ##
            AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
            Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
              Ok, I might just use Clonezilla or Redo to save a copy of my system, and go to liquorix to see what I can learn. Thanks.

John

Comment

How about that, the ATI/kernel problem goes away when using the latest Liquorix kernel! I dunno what downsides might appear, since Liquorix is geared for modern desktops, and I'm using an aged Thinkpad laptop.

Many thanks to all on Phoronix who helped me.

John

Comment

You don't need clonezilla, when you install a new kernel from liquorix you will still be able to choose your old kernel from grub.
                  ## VGA ##
                  AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
                  Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

You don't need clonezilla, when you install a new kernel from liquorix you will still be able to choose your old kernel from grub.
                    Yes, but in the past I have broken my carefully customized systems often enough that I'm paranoid. A few minutes spent making a backup seems a small price to pay.

In any case, the liquorix kernel seems to work fine.

John

Comment

Working...
                    X