Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Further Testing Shows More Hope For ATI Gallium3D

Phoronix: Further Testing Shows More Hope For ATI Gallium3D

A week ago I reported on the open-source ATI driver becoming a lot faster thanks to the KMS page-flipping support finally landing in the mainline Linux kernel and xf86-video-ati driver, tiling improvements, and lots of work going into the R300g/R600g Gallium3D drivers. The open-source ATI Gallium3D is not conclusively faster than the proprietary Catalyst driver is, but it's becoming a much more competitive race. In last week's article an ATI Mobility Radeon GPU was used to illustrate these improvements, but in this follow-up article are the Linux benchmark results for three discrete Radeon graphics cards using the stock Ubuntu 10.10 open-source ATI driver, the last R500-supported Catalyst Linux driver, and then the latest open-source driver bits from the Linux 2.6.38 kernel.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Strange, so far no negative criticism ragarding OSS ATI drivers and trolling.

Comment

just looked at the graphs of the article and gallium isn't that far back compared to Catalyst

nice

Comment

Quite impressive, keep it up!

Comment

Which version of Catalyst was used?
          What about R600g? Cause most of the pepole nowadays have newer cards.

Comment

Originally posted by Viper_Scull View Post
            Which version of Catalyst was used?
            Read the article.
            Michael Larabel
            https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

OpenArena 1920x1080 chart. What's going on there? Why are the faster ASICs showing progressively worse performance?

Comment

Originally posted by Wyatt View Post
                OpenArena 1920x1080 chart. What's going on there? Why are the faster ASICs showing progressively worse performance?
                Probably the CPU is being the bottleneck, so it levels off after a while.

Otherwise: excellent results! I hope that much of this finds its way into the drivers for the (considerably more complex) r600+ architectures.

Comment

Wau impressive. Big kudos to every oss driver developer!
                  The oss driver is really shaping up very nicely.

Comment

I will say, the R300 performance is really damn impressive. I also really loved seeing that Catalyst got smoked in one of the benchmarks. If only that result could extend to all the other tests, extend to newer cards, and somehow get OGL 4.1. I think it will be pretty cool once the devs start actually optimizing the R600G driver.

Comment

Working...
                    X