no boot on latest kernel drm-radeon-testing/add NI pci ids

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• no boot on latest kernel drm-radeon-testing/add NI pci ids

The latest drm-radeon-testing kernel does not boot but hangs at a black screen. I'm at commit "add NI pci ids". There has been no change in my kernel .config since drm-radeon-testing rc3.

What hardware are you using? If you are using 6xx, 7xx, or evergreen hw you may need this patch:

Comment

Same here but using 2.6.38-rc1...
      I thought that patch already included to rc1.
      I also tried to run my 6850 with KMS drm-testing before
      at this topic with same result.

Anyway I tried again with changed bios compliance modes set to DISABLED or GEN1 but it doesn't helps.

I am not using KMS booting but fglrx. I get into shell via "3" as boot parameter at grub.
      When I try to load radeon kernel with KMS computer became BSOD... CTRL+ALT+DEL doesn't working yet. But modprobing okey if I made modeset=0.

Does it any way to debug this easy? I couldn't print dmesg lines here due lockup

Comment

The best bet would be to bisect and see what commit is causing the problem for you. It would also be easier to track this if you opened a bug report:

Select "DRI", then, "DRM/Radeon"

Comment

I open a bug report.

Also don't know if it work (try each git commit one by one) since NI doesn't supported before. Might be understand which commit triggers that behavior but I am not experienced on git well. Might be try later, if it's not fixed on other release candidates.

Comment

To revert 1 commit at a time:
            Code:
            git reset --hard HEAD~1
            It may take a while to find the commit. I'll try the patch. I'm using an HD3850/RV670 card.

Comment

Originally posted by charlie View Post
              To revert 1 commit at a time:
              Code:
              git reset --hard HEAD~1
              It may take a while to find the commit. I'll try the patch. I'm using an HD3850/RV670 card.
              Use git bisect. It's much easier.

Comment

This is the commit that causes boot to fail: http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kerne...45f2fbb4faacf9 (drm/radeon: use system_wq instead of dev_priv->wq)

Commit "vga_switcheroo: fix build with non switcheroo enabled path" builds fine.

Comment

The patch at http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kerne...fa3eee4520f5e5 does not work.

Comment

Originally posted by charlie View Post
                    This is the commit that causes boot to fail: http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kerne...45f2fbb4faacf9 (drm/radeon: use system_wq instead of dev_priv->wq)
                    I don't really see how that would cause an issue, but Tejun may have some ideas. Please file a bug:

Comment

Working...
                    X