Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 2.6.38-rc1 Is Here With Two Features Linus Loves

Phoronix: Linux 2.6.38-rc1 Is Here With Two Features Linus Loves

After keeping the Linux 2.6.38 kernel merge window open for two weeks, Linus Torvalds has this evening announced the release of the Linux 2.6.38-rc1 kernel. This kernel has a lot to love about it, including Linus' two favorite features of the group scheduling improvements and the RCU-based path name lookup support. Performance improvements!..

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

very nice

Comment

I'll wait until -rc2 at the earliest to test this out. -rc1 is always really bad for me, and every time I try to report an -rc1 bug, someone else has already found it first, because they're obvious "duh" type bugs...

Comment

It will be great if this kernel will be used in the upcoming [K]ubuntu, but I guess they'll ship with 2.6.37.

Comment

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
          It will be great if this kernel will be used in the upcoming [K]ubuntu, but I guess they'll ship with 2.6.37.
          But maybe they could/would pull some of the work into their .37 kernel? I don't know how common (if at all) this is for the Ubuntu kernel team - anyone who know if this is planned or could happen, who would care to enlighten me?

Comment

omg, now I have to wait several weeks again til the next release. And have to be so excited all the time.
            It's always a pleasure to follow all this development and see Linux and userland growing steadily.
            Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
              https://wiki.ubuntu.com/NattyNarwhal/TechnicalOverview Last modified date: 2010-12-02

Linux kernel 2.6.37-rc3

Alpha 1 includes the 2.6.37-rc3 kernel which is based on the latest mainline release candidate kernel. This is a major update from the v2.6.35 in Maverick. The kernel is expected to roll forward over time to v2.6.38 for release.

Comment

Originally posted by Silverthorn View Post
                Wonderful news! Thanks.

Comment

Can someone explain me what is this "RCU-based path name lookup" improvement?

Comment

A question regarding Autogroups thing.

wasn't the guy (Lennart) that was arguing with Linus on this thing writing some code to make it work with his other project systemd in order to have better interactivity for a bigger variety of loads????

i know he proposed a different way of achieving the same thins as the "magic patch" but wasn't he working on something to make better use of it???

Comment

Working...
                    X