No announcement yet.

CompilerDeathMatch: surprising results

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Staalmannen thanks for this tests. It's interesting to see how -Os flag is perfoming pretty well on GCC and intel, in some cases even better than -O3 and -O2.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimbo View Post
      Staalmannen thanks for this tests. It's interesting to see how -Os flag is perfoming pretty well on GCC and intel, in some cases even better than -O3 and -O2.
      I am happy to hear that people find it interesting

I just uploaded compiler-specific flags for PCC, but I will not present a merge until I have added some of the most requested aggressive optimizations, primarily GCC and ICC.

I have just seen some openbenchmarking.org variants of my data, and I must say that the ability to group data (either per compiler or per optimization option) makes the data much easier to interpret. I hope we will be able to present such graphs soon

Ps. Thanks mtippett for your effort! Ds.

Cheers

Comment

Round of aggressive specific optimization flags...

The final round of the CompilerDeathMatch has started.

An intermediate update can be found here:

Changes:
        - Optimization for PCC (suggested by Anders Magnusson, PCC mantainer)
        - the suggested most aggressive optimizations for ICC and GCC
        - SolarisStudio on default settings

The SolarisStudio is a late commer to the party, but will hopefully catch up soon.

Comment

Originally posted by staalmannen View Post
          The final round of the CompilerDeathMatch has started.

An intermediate update can be found here:

Changes:
          - Optimization for PCC (suggested by Anders Magnusson, PCC mantainer)
          - the suggested most aggressive optimizations for ICC and GCC
          - SolarisStudio on default settings

The SolarisStudio is a late commer to the party, but will hopefully catch up soon.
          Suggestions/tips wanted for
          - highly aggressive flags for Clang
          - highly aggressive flags for SunCC
          - A way to unclutter the data. To me, it looks like a lot of the graphs now fail to show up on the webpage. Perhaps I need to divide the merges per optimization group, although this would make the overall comparison less complete.

Comment

Originally posted by staalmannen View Post
            Perhaps I need to divide the merges per optimization group...
            It seems a good idea, in the current sate it's difficult to see detailed data.

Comment

Perhaps a bit late, but you aren't using the path64 compiler yet (which got mentioned on one of the first replies in this thread).

Question. How do you compile apache (or anything) with a different compiler..? some steps please

Comment

Originally posted by markg85 View Post
                Perhaps a bit late, but you aren't using the path64 compiler yet (which got mentioned on one of the first replies in this thread).

Question. How do you compile apache (or anything) with a different compiler..? some steps please
                I decided not to include Path64 in this comparison since it basically is another version of Open64 (and would fit better into a version comparison. If I would have added more compilers it would probably have been more interesting with LLVM-GCC and Dragonegg). It takes quite a while to complete the test set already with the compilers I have included at this moment. I am currently trying to finish up with the SolarisStudio benchmarks for a final result of the 64-bit compilers. For 32-bit, I will most likely first focus on those compilers not available for 64-bit.

In the meanwhile, this is the final comparison with "default" settings:

-O2, -O3, -Os and -Custom settings comming up as soon as they are finished (SolarisStudio left to test)

I think this is the easier way to look at the results... The full comparison got too cluttered before.

Comment

Originally posted by markg85 View Post

EDIT: the way I do the compiler comparisons is basically that I export the environmental variables CC and CXX = /path/to/compiler. I guess the same should work when manually compiling whatever you want to compile. In fact, that is exactly what I do in my makepkg.conf, where I have defined Clang as default compiler.

Comment

Final results in new thread

I have presented the final results for discussion in a new thread

Comment

Working...
                    X