Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The VIA TTM/GEM Patch Appears Ready

Phoronix: The VIA TTM/GEM Patch Appears Ready

Just one month ago an independent developer began working on VIA TTM/GEM support for the VIA kernel DRM driver along with VIA kernel mode-setting support, even while VIA's open-source Linux strategy is dead. Just a few weeks later, James Simmons' VIA TTM/GEM memory management patches are now ready...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I personaly think that people should forget via, and let them die in peace. There are enough low profile alternatives, e.g brazos, atom and more recently arm. All this is wasted recources.

Comment

Rest In Pieces, you lousy sons of silicon junk!

Originally posted by Drago View Post
      I personaly think that people should forget via, and let them die in peace. There are enough low profile alternatives, e.g brazos, atom and more recently arm. All this is wasted recources.
      Don't worry - they already made it to my personal blacklist along with FOXCONN and LG (some of their drives were clearly screwy because they were responding to a completely legitimate ATA command by flushing their firmware and bricking and LG was discarding any warranty claims from GNU/Linux users with the "we only test our drives to work in Winblow$" attitude).
      Damn - seems my list of trustworthy hardware manufacturers is slowly starting to get much thinner than I'd like.

Comment

Yay! It was "flush_cache" command that made the LG opticals flush their Firmware. Hehe, some still remember! And yes, they said "we don't test your devices with Linux". lol.

Yes, but sometimes such a blacklist really grows and grows... and luckily sometimes you can get some people off it. As it seems Broadcom is trying to get a better PR in terms of Linux and their WLAN support.

On the article. It's nice to see someone still doing stuff there but I bet that the code only works on few selected chip(s) - and my boxes will probably not participate in the goodness. As I chose before - there will be no new VIA stuff in my house but I'll still keep that old stuff around and hope that they might see the light of day in a few years...
        But til then I'll stay with things that have proven to work.
        Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
          On the article. It's nice to see someone still doing stuff there but I bet that the code only works on few selected chip(s) - and my boxes will probably not participate in the goodness. As I chose before - there will be no new VIA stuff in my house but I'll still keep that old stuff around and hope that they might see the light of day in a few years...
          But til then I'll stay with things that have proven to work.
          Will you test it on your boxes? If it fails, will you bug report it? OpenChrome have been helpful and responsive when I have had issues, so I certainly have no complaint there.

Comment

Depends on what I will need. Normally I check openchrome svn regularly but I guess it will also need kernel parts. So maybe I have to wait one or two kernels. And I don't know if it will work with my CLE266 and CN700. But I'll try.
            Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Hi, I built a kernel patched with the openchrome kms support, BUT I don't know how to make it active. The how-to's I've found are for nVidia, ATI and Intel.
              I've built the via kms inside the kernel, not as module.

Comment

Working...
              X