No announcement yet.

My new Intel Sandybridge with ASUS P8P67

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you, @derekjw. Yours is the most informative post on Ubuntu / Linux on the P8P67 I've seen.

I ran the BIOS "OC Tuner" and it picked a multiplier of 42. When I rebooted, it was startling to see the CPU Frequency Scaling Monitor offer values up to 5.9 GHz. When I ran burnP6 tests temps rapidly got to 79C.

I followed your advice to set the scaling by CPU and left them all at 42x and not it works much better. Plus the thermal monitoring solution you suggested is great too.

Comment

Drive boot order

I found that my existing SATA 3GB/S drive wasn't reliably booting off the blue (onboard 3GB/S) connectors.

I have two drives, one which is the boot drive and is smaller. Only the larger drive showed up in everything except the Boot Override menu. When I moved both to the Marvell ("Navy" blue) connector then the first boot text detected them, and there was no problem controlling boot priority to be the smaller drive. I guess if I ever put in a 6GB/S RAID configuration I'll need to rethink this but for now it's fine.

Comment

Got voltage

Originally posted by derekjw View Post
        Would be nice to be able to read processor voltage though, I had to dual boot into Windows to verify it was okay.
        This seems to get voltages as well.
        From here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1056681&page=2

put this in /etc/modules:

pkgtemp
        coretemp
        w83627ehf force_id=0x8860

Comment

Looks like it is also possible to get some voltages and more temps with this:

modprobe w83627ehf force_id=0x8860

Comment

Right, put it in /etc/modules for automagic operation.

Comment

Originally posted by klotz View Post
              Right, put it in /etc/modules for automagic operation.
              I completely missed that post of yours (obviously). Woops!

Comment

No problem, it's good news all around.

I'm suffering from a USB problem now:

cannot submit datapipe for urb 0, error -28: not enough bandwidth

Same Ubuntu install on a previous board worked fine with USB 1.1 and USB 2.0 devices. Now I get this on boot and also whenever I plug in a Creative USB sound device, which then fails to work. Other USB devices are working on (rs232, printers, mice, kbds).

Comment

Originally posted by klotz View Post
                  No problem, it's good news all around.

I'm suffering from a USB problem now:

cannot submit datapipe for urb 0, error -28: not enough bandwidth

Same Ubuntu install on a previous board worked fine with USB 1.1 and USB 2.0 devices. Now I get this on boot and also whenever I plug in a Creative USB sound device, which then fails to work. Other USB devices are working on (rs232, printers, mice, kbds).
                  That happened to me for the onboard bluetooth. A reboot fixed it. Speaking of the bluetooth I got it working awhile ago but now the module fails to load the firmware. Anyone else have this problem?

Comment

You might have heared but your chipset has a known hardware design problem. S.o. said above there were problems with some SATA-ports. This might be related:

Comment

Originally posted by nukem View Post
                      That happened to me for the onboard bluetooth. A reboot fixed it. Speaking of the bluetooth I got it working awhile ago but now the module fails to load the firmware. Anyone else have this problem?
                      @Nukem, was it this specific error? Mine is robust through reboots, and doesn't affect other devices. A Griffin iMic (48KHz sampling) works fine as do the myriad serial ports and HID devices.

I have 3 PCI slots populated, one with a graphics card, and nothing in the PCIe/PCIx slots. I'm wondering if they way they have sliced up the lanes it's possible I've taken the USB2 bandwidth away? Or maybe it's just a Linux bug with some particular ehci hardware. Any ideas?

I've tried the USB3 slots and they fail in a different way, probably due to a kernel bug.

Comment

Working...
                      X