My new Intel Sandybridge with ASUS P8P67

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My new Intel Sandybridge with ASUS P8P67

So I literally just built a new Sandybridge machine and I am about to install Gentoo on it.

Anyway here are the specs

Intel Sandybridge i7 2600K
    ASUS P8P67
    eVGA GTX570 Overclocked
    CORSAIR 8G DDR3 2000
    WesternDigital 1.5T 7200RPM 64M Cache
    CORSAIR 850W
    COOLER MASTER HAF X

Currently I am not overclocking(going to get a stable Linux install on it first).

Here are the first couple hiccups I've had

1. X didn't come up, probably because my video card is too new for the open source nv driver, will try vesa soon(for install only).
    2. No Ethernet - working on this now
    3. Possibly no sound - Gentoo LiveCD said it failed to load haven't looked into why yet, probably just a missing ID in the driver.

Updates to follow...

Just realized I might of put this in the wrong forum. Can an admin please move it to the correct one.

Thanks

Comment

First update. When I was designing this machine I realized I hardly used the DVD burner on my laptop so this new machine doesn't have one. I am installing off of a USB stick. While the Gentoo LiveUSB key booted ethernet, X, and audio failed. I just tried booting Fedora 14 and it gives me a failed to boot error(kernel panics with something about the EFI). Trying Ubuntu 10.10 next.

Comment

I guess you will need U 10.04 to fully support every hardware or something similar with 2.6.37 kernel.

Comment

Yeah this needs a newer board, theres no real point to trying Ubuntu. Anyway I got Ethernet working by downloading the latest driver from http://sourceforge.net/projects/e100...000e%20stable/

Comment

Vesa driver works fine at my monitors native resolution however I did have to specifically tell X to use it in my xorg.conf file.

Comment

Sound and ethernet work fine on the latest 2.6.37 kernel. The only minor bug I see with it is that when I plug my headphones in the front port they do not mute my speakers.

Comment

Well I have my system up and running. Everything works great with the latest kernel. All the SATA controllers(there are 3) use the AHCI driver. The BlueTooth module works fine with the ath3k module and the linux-firmware package. The only thing I havn't been able to get working are the onboard thermal sensors. lm-sensors picks up nothing, not even the CPU! Its not that big of a deal for me but it is something I'd like to see get fixed in the future. If you guys have any questions feel free to ask.

Comment

Originally posted by nukem View Post
                  The only thing I havn't been able to get working are the onboard thermal sensors. lm-sensors picks up nothing, not even the CPU!
                  Try using ACPI, like in laptop thermal sensors.

BTW, I'm also planning to buy a SB platform soon to run Gentoo on it

Comment

Originally posted by nukem View Post
                    The only thing I havn't been able to get working are the onboard thermal sensors. lm-sensors picks up nothing, not even the CPU! Its not that big of a deal for me but it is something I'd like to see get fixed in the future. If you guys have any questions feel free to ask.
                    I had the same problem (running Fedora 14 with a 2.6.37 kernel). lm_sensors didn't detect the cpu temp, but manually loading the coretemp module worked fine and seems to be giving correct temps.

One thing to watch out for with this setup (I have the P8P67 as well): after I updated to the latest bios, the kernel thought that because it had the ability to fully overclock the processor to the limit, that it should. With the ondemand governor running, I was seeing my processor speed being bumped up to around 5500mhz (with the voltage automatically scaling as well). Setting each core separately in the bios fixed this for me, as the OS doesn't have control of the max speed with that setting.

In any case, it been has been completely stable no matter what crazy thing was going on, and for now I'm quite happy at 4500mhz with everything else at it's default setting in the bios. Speed and voltage scale down automatically to 1600mhz, something I haven't been able to do with any stability when overclocking other CPUs. Would be nice to be able to read processor voltage though, I had to dual boot into Windows to verify it was okay.

Comment

Working...
                    X