• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tyan Thunder S2915WA2NRF-E cannot recognize 32GB of registered DDR2

I am currently building a workstation around a Tyan Thunder S2915WA2NRF-E:

S2915WA2NRF-E / 2 x Opteron 2378 / 8 x 4GB registered DDR2
    EVGA Geforce 275 GTX 896GB / Crucial CT256M225 256GB SSD
    Tuniq 1000W PSU

The memory I am using is of Qimonda manufacture which is included on the memory support list. I am sure, however, that the issue is not the memory itself but rather the DIMM slots. I have verified this by rotating the DDR through the various DIMM slots and, regardless of which stick I've used, the memory placed in CPU1 DIMMs 2 & 3 is not detected. I have tested this by populating each DIMM slot incrementally:

(see http://www.tyan.com/manuals/m_s2915-E_100.pdf for the board manual)

Placing a 4GB stick in each slot incrementally (until I reach 8 x 4GB) and booting into BIOS:

CPU0 DIMM3 : 4GB detected
    + CPU1 DIMM3 : still only 4GB total detected
    + CPU0 DIMM2 + CPU1 DIMM2 : only 8GB total detected

... and so on. At the point where I reach 32GB (all DIMM slots populated) the BIOS will still only detect 24GB of DDR.

Could this be an issue with the 2nd CPU on the board (through which the DIMM slots are referenced)?

There are no issues with the CPU reported on POST. I thought initially this was an issue with the motherboard however I have since purchased a replacement and still have the same problem.

Tyan support is pretty useless... anyone here have any ideas?

1) are you certain that your memory is all good?
    2) are you only checking the memory quantity with the BIOS? Have you simply not bothered to boot into a 64bit linux? DON'T TRUST THE BIOS!!!

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
      1) are you certain that your memory is all good?
      2) are you only checking the memory quantity with the BIOS? Have you simply not bothered to boot into a 64bit linux? DON'T TRUST THE BIOS!!!
      This

Try booting a 64 bit Linux LiveCD and open a terminal and type top

The top command will display detected memory and amount of RAM used.

At top of screen you should look for:

Mem
      Statistics on memory usage, including total available memory, free memory, used memory, shared memory, and memory used for buffers. The display of memory information may be toggled by the m interactive command.

If the total available memory is around 32GB then you are good to go and the BIOS is wrong. If any other value other then 32GB then you might have a problem. Why not run memtest to check all the RAM to make sure you don't have a bad stick

Comment

As it turns out I did have a bad stick of DDR2 - I was not seeing it initially as I guess the stick was hosed enough that it would bring the entire bank down (and thus the adjacent stick would not register in the BIOS). I've since replaced the stick and everything is now hunky dory DDR2-wise.

Comment

Working...
        X