Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Overheating X1950XT with r300g 2.6.33-rt kernel (is it normal?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overheating X1950XT with r300g 2.6.33-rt kernel (is it normal?)

Time to time I see screen artifacts, obviously pointing to vram overheating (triangles and lines around the center of the screen). The question: is it normal? I mean with 2.6.33 kernel the power management is not supported and I don't hear my card's fan while running 3D apps, so the gpu and memory chips are not cooled well. I've to use 2.6.33 kernel because its the most recent rt kernel around (for audio work).

I should add: I use the latest xorg edgers stack with it. (mesa 7.10git, latest libdrm, radeon git etc.)

Comment

Im not really sure in which kernel version was pushed ati power management, but im thinking its like 2.6.35 or so .. i had same problems with my HD2600M before power management was included

Comment

with kernel 2.6.37 overheating problems are gone

so... there's a "was overheating once" community here in phoronix forums!
        anyway the overheating must be normal regarding the speed optimizations coming to the r300g, so users of older hardware/kernels are advised to upgrade their kernels to fresh code immediately.

Comment

Working...
        X