No announcement yet.

The Open-Source ATI Driver Is Becoming A Lot Faster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I still don't get it :P OpenGL is an open standard that is so open that it needs to be reverse engineered?

And you complain about D3D for Gallium >.<

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
      I still don't get it :P OpenGL is an open standard that is so open that it needs to be reverse engineered?
      The OpenGL standard describes an API. You still need to translate that API to hardware calls -- this is what the driver does.

If you don't know how to pass the needed data to the gfx card, you can wipe your ass with the open standard.

BTW, please show me D3D for gallium working on any hardware, and specifically using S3TC on any hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
        MostAwesomeDude: Revan199: They cannot legally provide certain information to the community.
        MostAwesomeDude: Specifically, anisotropic filtering, S3TC formats, MPEG formats, video decoding, and possibly the various firmware stuff.
        Even anisotropic filtering? OMG
        I hope someone will reverse S3TC for R600 hardware too...
        ## VGA ##
        AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
        Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Nobody lolled at my hypothesis? I am dissapoint.
          Anyway Gordshit has no legal ground to stand on whatsoever so whatever...

Comment

Oh for $DEITY's sake. Gordboy threatening legalese and V!ncent being much worse than what got gordboy banned the last time, yet escaping unscathed.

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
              sorry gordboy i don't like your mental-fascism to control people in writing/speaking is like being a Nazi. sure you are one.
              This

Sorry this thread has gone way off track due to the incessant trolling of gordboy, guys. Maybe if gordboy shuts the heck up and let the intelligent people talk it will work out a lot better.

Comment

Arrg edit limit.

What we all can do is just ignore trollboy. Don't quote or respond to any of his posts and just post about the topic at hand. He'll then get the hint and disappear.

Comment

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
                  Radeon OSS drivers are a funny thing. Those who use them, like them, those who buy from other manufacturers hate them and write about it on the internet
                  Maybe I'm an exception. I use them, I find them lacking, find them slow progressing(as in alarmingly slow), do not understand AMD decisions - but they are open-source.

At the same time I look at nvidia, and struggle between opensource+inefficiency and blob+efficiency. Seriously, Im starting to hate BOTH nvidia and amd.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
                    [...] V!ncent being much worse than what got gordboy banned the last time, yet escaping unscathed.
                    That's maybe because:
                    1. I'm only being an asshole towards the asshole that is an asshole against everybody here, except himself;
                    2. Everybody at these forums asked for mr. Gorden Unfreeman to be banned and nobody, except for Gorden ofcourse, asked for my ban, while also threatning the admin that has banning rights.

And about this topic; I think everybody has already thanked the driver devs who read this (and if not massive thanks for your effort) and thus there is little left to talk about, except one single douchebag, so allow us to be entertained.

Comment

• Originally posted by crazycheese View Post
                      Maybe I'm an exception. I use them, I find them lacking, find them slow progressing(as in alarmingly slow), do not understand AMD decisions - but they are open-source.
                      Yeah. I have higher-end needs out of my GPU. Unfortunately, the proprietary drivers somewhat undermine the point of running a Free OS. Plus they're missing compatibility with newer kernels/X and lack features like KMS which a fair bit of the Free desktop stack is starting to have a hard dependency on.

I'm running the NVIDIA binary driver on my new laptop. It's helluva fast (some OpenGL tests are slightly out-performing Windows on the same machine). It's got a higher level of OpenGL support than the Windows drivers that are compatible with this specific video card. But on the other hand I'm fucked if I want to try Wayland or if I even just want a nice bootup experience on Fedora.

I can deal with less performance or features than the proprietary drivers offer, but that minimum acceptable level is for me still a good deal above the support offered by the FOSS drivers. And sure I was a little irritated when it took almost a year for my first ATI GPU to be supported.

However, given the size of the team and the relative inexperience of many of the FOSS driver developer (as GPU driver developers, not as general developers; they're all great devs) they've done a damn good job. Whatever shortcomings there are in the FOSS stack, it's not due to any fault of the people actually working on them. It's the fault of the all the people _not_ working on them. Which yes, includes me.

Comment

Working...
                      X