X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

fireglcontrolpanel problems

Originally posted by Michael View Post
    semi,

You seem to be running into the problem mentioned on the previous pages of this thread and other threads. Still investigating why some seem to run into fireglcontrolpanel problems. What packages do you have installed?
    Hello Michael and others,
    First of all, thanks for all your work and help on getting the drivers working. I have a Dell Inspiron E1505 with the ATI Mobility Radeon X1300 running FC6, and I have found these forums very useful to sort through some of the problems I have encountered in trying to get full use out of my graphics card. BTW, my main motivation for this is to use Google Earth, which I can't at present because apparantly you need hardware acceleration to make effective use of it.

The fireglcontrol panel problem arises because for some reason the files generated by:
    ./ati-driver-installer-8.33.6-x86.x86_64.run --extract

do not include the bin directory and the fireglcontrol panel in the x710 subdirectory of the extracted files. It seems to be an omission. This directory and file are present in the subdirectories for the earlier version of the x server (x690, x700, and earlier ones). I simply copied the bin directory and file from one of the earlier ones to the x710 directory and was able to build a custom package successfully using:

./ati-installer.sh 8.33.6 --buildpkg Fedora/FC6

These then installed without any problems using yum.

Hope this helps people having issues with the fireglcontrolpanel.

I am still having issues getting DRI to work though. My custom built driver works, because I can get higher resolutions than with the VESA driver, but if I disable compositing I get some of the other issues of very slow response and eventual hang up mentioned by others in this forum. I have not been able to resolve this, and from what I have been able to make out reading this and other forums, there is no solution to this at present with the 8.33.6 drivers. I may need to go back to earlier drivers. Please let me know if my assessment is correct.

Thanks for all your help so far. Just for future reference in buying hardware - which graphics cards are most linux friendly - i.e. provide access to the latest technologies such as 3D, DRI etc (I don't know how all these are connected, but apparantly they are).

Sanjay

Comment

fireglcontrolpanel problems and 8.33.6 drivers

Take 2 of posting ....

Hello Michael and Others,
      First of all, thank you for all your efforts to make the drivers work for ATI cards and sharing this information. I have a Dell Inspiron E1505 with an ATI Mobility Radeon X1300 running the 2.6.19-1.2895 version of FC6, and I am trying to set it up to watch movies and run Google Earth. However, lack of graphics acceleration prevents me from doing this right now.

I was able to successfully build the ATI 8.33.6 drivers for FC6 using some of the information posted on this and other sites. I ran into the:

install: cannot stat `fireglcontrolpanel': No such file or directory

problem mentioned by others as well, and was able to trace it down to some missing files. For some reason, the files extracted to the fglrx-install directory using the command:

ati-driver-installer-8.33.6-x86.x86_64.run --extract

are missing the bin directory and the fireglcontrolpanel file in the x710/usr/X11R6 subdirectory. This seems to be an ommission - all other directories contain this subdirectory and file. I simply copied the file and subdrirectory from the x700 directory and I was able to generate the rpm files without any more problems using the following command from WITHIN the fglrx-install directory.

ati-installer.sh 8.33.6 --buildpkg Fedora/FC6

However if you copy the file as mentioned above and then use the command:

ati-driver-installer-8.33.6-x86.x86_64.run 8.33.6 --buildpkg Fedora/FC6

from the directory where you downloaded the file, the problem will still persist because this recreates the fglrx-install directory and wipes out your modifications.

After having done this and installed the generated rpms using:
      yum localinstall *rpm

and updated my xorg.conf file using
      aticonfig --initial

With this, I was able to get a resolution of 1280x800 that I cannot otherwise get.

I then modified the xorg.conf file to disable compositing by adding the sections:
      Section "DRI"
      Group 0
      Mode 0666
      EndSection

Section "Extensions"
      Option "Composite" "Disable"
      EndSection

to the xorg.conf file. This led to the problem of the screen hanging up - presumably with the X server consuming 100% of the CPU - mentioned by others in these forums. I have no solution to this at present.

I also noticed that the generated drivers (without the DRI extensions in the xorg.conf file) slow down with time - especially if you suspend and resume the machine, but even otherwise. This was bad enough that I ended up completely uninstalling the drivers and reverting to the VESA drivers.

From what I have read here and elsewhere, there is no way past the screen hangup problem for the 8.33.6 drivers. I will have to revert to the 8.29 drivers to be able to use that, but they are not compatible with the 2.6.19 kernel which is what I have. This is where I am at present - pondering my next move.

If you have any suggestions, I would appreciate those, though it may be a while before I blow another weekend trying to get this to work.

Just for future reference in buying hardware - which graphics cards do you recommend for Linux notebooks? Which vendor is most friendly and provides the linux community with access to the latest features? I will certainly vote with my feet (money) the next time.

Sanjay

Comment

If you copied the firegl_public code from 8.33 to 8.29, it should work with the Linux 2.6.19 kernel. Or from 8.30 -> 8.29.

However if you copy the file as mentioned above and then use the command:

ati-driver-installer-8.33.6-x86.x86_64.run 8.33.6 --buildpkg Fedora/FC6

from the directory where you downloaded the file, the problem will still persist because this recreates the fglrx-install directory and wipes out your modifications.
        To not wipe it you could change directory into the fglrx folder and then ati-installer.sh 8.33.6 --buildpkg Fedora/FC6

I have had no problems with ATI notebooks.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
          If you copied the firegl_public code from 8.33 to 8.29, it should work with the Linux 2.6.19 kernel. Or from 8.30 -> 8.29.

To not wipe it you could change directory into the fglrx folder and then ati-installer.sh 8.33.6 --buildpkg Fedora/FC6

I have had no problems with ATI notebooks.
          Michael,
          Thanks for the tip. I followed your suggestion. Once I commented out the patch for the 2.6.18 kernel in the ati-packager.sh script in the fglrx-install/packages/Fedora directory, the RPM packages built without any problems. However, when installing the packages using yum, I get the following errors:
          -------------------------------------------------------------------
          Running Transaction
          Installing: kernel-module-ATI-fglrx-2.6. ######################### [1/4]
          WARNING: /lib/modules/2.6.19-1.2895.fc6/extra/fglrx/fglrx.ko needs unknown symbol firegl_cmmqs_get_pageaddr_from_vm
          WARNING: /lib/modules/2.6.19-1.2895.fc6/extra/fglrx/fglrx.ko needs unknown symbol firegl_cail_powerdown
          WARNING: /lib/modules/2.6.19-1.2895.fc6/extra/fglrx/fglrx.ko needs unknown symbol firegl_cail_powerup
          Installing: ATI-fglrx ######################### [2/4]
          Installing: ATI-fglrx-control-panel ######################### [3/4]
          Installing: ATI-fglrx-devel ######################### [4/4]

The fglrx kernel module does not load because of these missing symbols.

I'm going to revert to a 2.6.18 kernel and see if I can get the 8.29 drivers working.
          Sanjay

Comment

Originally posted by SanjayPethe View Post
            Michael,
            Thanks for the tip. I followed your suggestion. Once I commented out the patch for the 2.6.18 kernel in the ati-packager.sh script in the fglrx-install/packages/Fedora directory, the RPM packages built without any problems. However, when installing the packages using yum, I get the following errors:
            Running Transaction
            Installing: kernel-module-ATI-fglrx-2.6. ######################### [1/4]
            WARNING: /lib/modules/2.6.19-1.2895.fc6/extra/fglrx/fglrx.ko needs unknown symbol firegl_cmmqs_get_pageaddr_from_vm
            WARNING: /lib/modules/2.6.19-1.2895.fc6/extra/fglrx/fglrx.ko needs unknown symbol firegl_cail_powerdown
            WARNING: /lib/modules/2.6.19-1.2895.fc6/extra/fglrx/fglrx.ko needs unknown symbol firegl_cail_powerup
            Installing: ATI-fglrx ######################### [2/4]
            Installing: ATI-fglrx-control-panel ######################### [3/4]
            Installing: ATI-fglrx-devel ######################### [4/4]

The fglrx kernel module does not load because of these missing symbols.

I'm going to revert to a 2.6.18 kernel and see if I can get the 8.29 drivers working.
            Sanjay
            OK, I got that working using Michaels script, slightly modified to run the ati-installer.sh script in the fglrx-install directory rather than the ati-driver-installer-8.29.6.run script to get around the fireglcontrolpanel problem.

In addition, I had to make the following changes to the rc.local startup script to load the fglrx module automatically on startup:
            /sbin/modprobe fglrx

and the following changes to the xorg.conf as documented elsewhere (included here for completeness).

# Turn of AIGLX
            Section "ServerFlags"
            Option "AIGLX" "off"
            EndSection

# Turn of Compositing
            Section "Extensions"
            Option "Composite" "Disable"
            EndSection

# Load dri and glx modules
            Section "Module"
            Load "dri"
            Load "glx"