Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FPS independent on resolution on RS482 with r300g

Hello,

I have been user of open source radeon driver for quite a while now. I just want to share my observations and ask if you happen to be seeing the same behaviour.

I noticed that games have almost constant FPS which does not depend on screen resolution. For example I get 5-15 FPS in TORCS on CG track 2 when driving alone. And this is the same from 300x200 to 1400x1050 resolutions alike. However, if there are several other cars on screen, it becomes a slideshow.

Games such as Sauerbraten, and most Quake engine based games run just fine in 20-30 FPS range, which again does not really depend on resolution that much.

My question is whether this is expected behaviour, or is there something wrong? I would gladly provide more information. Just tell me what you need?

This is HP Compaq nx6325 laptop:

Linux 2.6.37-amd64
    RS482 ATI Radeon XPRESS 200M 5975 (PCIE) (ChipID = 0x5975)
    X.Org X Server 1.9.3.901 (1.9.4 RC 1)
    OpenGL vendor string: X.Org R300 Project
    OpenGL renderer string: Gallium 0.4 on ATI RS482
    OpenGL version string: 2.1 Mesa 7.11-devel
    OpenGL shading language version string: 1.20
    GNOME desktop with Metacity not using any effects or compositing.

It's not unusual, but it will vary from game to game.

The drivers are still quite CPU-bound. The card is fast enough, but is waiting for the driver much of the time.

Yes, it will be optimised away eventually, but it's not trivial.

Comment

Also, for chips without vertex hardware make sure you have llvm enabled in your mesa build.

Comment

Thanks for the hint. I enabled LLVM and now I am experiencing framerates of unseen heights. TORCS is now perfectly playable at 1400x1050 with opponents on screen on CG track 2 with 15-20 FPS. Other games also feel much smoother. This is great.

Comment

Working...
        X