Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ballistics has gone Gold- demo now available...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
    Hm... I'd love to get a list of those demos- technically, the GeForce2 is missing some of the things that several of our titles need, but that should be caught unless the driver's mis-reporting features (It's happened with both NVidia and AMD's drivers (when they were ATI...) in the past- I'm sure it still happens from time to time. Regression testing sometimes lets things slip past...). As for your Radeon box, what model Radeon would this be?
    Well, I didn't make a list. The only two demos I got working from the LGP sites were Gorky and Soul Ride. I think Cold War didn't run on GeForce 2.

My Radeon is x800 Pro 256 mb, just in case you're wondering.

Comment

Well, what I'm about to work on is an award winner and was fairly popular (I went out of my way to buy it for eval (Only Windows title in 5-7 years...) and suggesting to Michael that he talk with the publisher and studio about it- only to find out that he'd already been one step ahead of me during my sabbatical from LGP work whilst I worked for one of the GPU vendors on contract...). It's not the cool thing, though... (Though what I'm about to start work on won't be a slouch and we're pretty sure we're going to secure rights to it's sequel- which will be one of the cool things...)

If he secures what he's finalizing the deals on you'll all be tickled.
      I like what I hear... hopefully it's my cup of tea.

And, yes, I'm teasing here, but it's about to look a lot better and while I doubt NWN2 will be done (Ugh... It's a performance pig as best as I can tell from what glimpses I saw from the DX9 driver team's analysis of the game. I can only hope the gameplay's better than the hatchet job Obsidian did with SW:KOTOR2... Had to test it against a new driver design for my past client- god, what were they thinking when they shipped it?) better titles than it ARE on the way. NWN2's only selling point is the module design tools to allow consumer made modules.
      What can you expect out of Obsidian? I have doubts NWN 2 Linux be ever conceieved, much less be released. I would think though that if KotOR had a Mac release, a Linux port isn't outside the realm of reality...

I guess I'll have to wait until I see the nice cool stuff get unveiled.

Comment

Originally posted by niniendowarrior View Post
        What can you expect out of Obsidian? I have doubts NWN 2 Linux be ever conceieved, much less be released. I would think though that if KotOR had a Mac release, a Linux port isn't outside the realm of reality..
        Considering that KotOR for the Mac is not KotOR2, but the original Bioware version... By the by, KotOR for Linux is doable- it's all OpenGL based, etc. But I don't think LucasArts is willing to license it- or if they were, it'd be for some silly-stupid high amount.

With regards to NWN2... IF Atari were to come to Ryan, myself, or one of the other consultants for doing this sort of thing, with a sweet deal I suspect it MIGHT get ported. Otherwise, with the way Atari, Obsidian, and to a small extent, Bioware, acted throughout development, I don't think anyone is actually interested in doing the project unless they're practically giving it all away to the publisher for the Linux version.

Comment

Well, I didn't make a list. The only two demos I got working from the LGP sites were Gorky and Soul Ride. I think Cold War didn't run on GeForce 2.

My Radeon is x800 Pro 256 mb, just in case you're wondering.
          Using the production closed drivers, right? I'll check into it. Gorky doesn't do 3D and Soul Ride is a very well-behaved rendering engine that should work with most everything out there. Cold War probably asks a BUNCH of a card and I doubt it'd pass go with a GeForce2, being that it's missing a bunch of the support for the needed ARB extensions used in it's engine.

Comment

Using the production closed drivers, right? I'll check into it. Gorky doesn't do 3D and Soul Ride is a very well-behaved rendering engine that should work with most everything out there. Cold War probably asks a BUNCH of a card and I doubt it'd pass go with a GeForce2, being that it's missing a bunch of the support for the needed ARB extensions used in it's engine.
            Yes, production closed drivers. Cold War had problems with ARB extensions on Geforce 2, I believe... now that you've mentioned it. And yes, it locked up on my x800.

I think X2 didn't run too, but I don't quite remember.

Comment

Considering that KotOR for the Mac is not KotOR2, but the original Bioware version... By the by, KotOR for Linux is doable- it's all OpenGL based, etc. But I don't think LucasArts is willing to license it- or if they were, it'd be for some silly-stupid high amount.
              I would expect that it's doable judging from what I've seen. I would think that as the years pass by, they might drop the price... but that's wishful thinking.

With regards to NWN2... IF Atari were to come to Ryan, myself, or one of the other consultants for doing this sort of thing, with a sweet deal I suspect it MIGHT get ported. Otherwise, with the way Atari, Obsidian, and to a small extent, Bioware, acted throughout development, I don't think anyone is actually interested in doing the project unless they're practically giving it all away to the publisher for the Linux version.
              Atari will never... ever... license out a Linux port. Did you see the insanely long thread in Atari's forum on a Mac/Linux port? Nobody is doing anything about it, so well, it's probably never going to happen. Of course, I have an impression that Atari doesn't really check their own forums based on what I've observed so that petition thing won't really work.

Besides, with the Windows product making a pile of dough, I'm sure they wouldn't really care.

Comment

I would expect that it's doable judging from what I've seen. I would think that as the years pass by, they might drop the price... but that's wishful thinking.

Atari will never... ever... license out a Linux port. Did you see the insanely long thread in Atari's forum on a Mac/Linux port? Nobody is doing anything about it, so well, it's probably never going to happen. Of course, I have an impression that Atari doesn't really check their own forums based on what I've observed so that petition thing won't really work.

Besides, with the Windows product making a pile of dough, I'm sure they wouldn't really care.
                Heh... Not only did I see the thread, I participated in it at length from time to time. It's why I roll my eyes when I see someone go and mention the prospects of NWN2 on Linux. That one's a closed chapter folks... We can only look forward- and there's quite a bit of coolness to look forward to, all things being considered.

Comment

Heh... It's the driver. Doesn't make it less of an issue, but the driver doesn't always play nice with 32-bit apps in 64-bit mode. NVidia's driver does a better job of this than AMD's right at the moment (and I've no earthly idea yet about the Intel drivers- yet...) but it still has some issues from version to version on things. Do me a favor, log the bug over at Linux Game Publishing and I'll get to checking into it in a couple of days when I can get back in front of my 64-bit machine.
                  Looks like my problem is resolved after geting a new version of the demo from LGP and upgrading to the new Nvidia beta driver release (NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-100.14.06-pkg2.run). Thanks for the help on this issue.

Comment

Working...
                  X