Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ballistics has gone Gold- demo now available...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Downloaded the demo last night and tried it out. Never played it before, but I like it. It may be a little older, but it was nice to play. Reminded me of a game I used to play called MegaRace.

I would love to see NWN2 on Linux, but I think Linux Game Publishing is doing a good thing with these titles, and I hope they keep up the good work. Plus with a teaser of "newer" who can argue with that!

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
      I tried the demo it and it still looks like it did 7 years ago on my AMD K6-300 / Voodoo card running 98se.

You want to bring a game that is in dire need of a linux port... Look at NWN2. The original NWN is still probably one of the most popular native linux games.
      You know what... I'm not going to debate it with you further- it's very, very clear you've got your own ideas about things and there's not going to be any sense in discussing it with you.

Comment

Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
        Heh... It's the driver. Doesn't make it less of an issue, but the driver doesn't always play nice with 32-bit apps in 64-bit mode. NVidia's driver does a better job of this than AMD's right at the moment (and I've no earthly idea yet about the Intel drivers- yet...) but it still has some issues from version to version on things. Do me a favor, log the bug over at Linux Game Publishing and I'll get to checking into it in a couple of days when I can get back in front of my 64-bit machine.
        I sent in a message with all the information provided here to the support address about this possible issue with the Nvidia driver. Thanks for helping out in what would be needed to correct this issue.

Comment

I tried the demo it and it still looks like it did 7 years ago on my AMD K6-300 / Voodoo card running 98se.

You want to bring a game that is in dire need of a linux port... Look at NWN2. The original NWN is still probably one of the most popular native linux games.
          Why would anyone find it useful to belittle any work being done on bringing native games to the Linux desktop? There are only two reasons I could see why... either you have something much better to offer other than an opinion (which it doesn't sound like it), or you're too blind to see that Linux gaming benefits from projects like this (even if it isn't your favorite game of the month).

I agree that it would be cool to have something similar to NWN2 run native on Linux, and I'm sure their are other games that are just as new and with just as many people (or more) playing them that would benefit from a Linux port -- for instance Jade Empire, Galactic Civilizations 2, or a native version of WoW. But that is a large step that obviously can't happen overnight. Companies like Linux Game Publishing can't just announce their intention to port a specific game to Linux... porting a game to Linux would have to be worked out with the company who released the game on Windows in the first place. I don't know the details of this process, but I'm sure that it could get complicated very easily and change with every company or game.

The best solution would be for companies like Blizzard, Bioware, Atari, NCSoft, etc. to see that there are many Linux gamers who will buy games for their chosen OS, and then these companies would factor a Linux version into the cost upfront (and possibly limit the total cost of development). While we wait for that to happen for all major developers (not just iD, Epic, etc.), Linux Game Publishing and other similar developers help to increase the size of the Linux gaming population with ports of the best games they can find at this time. This makes it more likely that your next must-buy title will have a Linux port.

If you are even remotely interested in Linux gaming then there is no way this could be seen as anything but positive. If you are frustrated at the slow pace at which the newest and most advanced games are making it to Linux, then direct your griping to the companies who are releasing those Windows-only games... not towards one of the few companies that are trying to do something about it.

Comment

Originally posted by joshuapurcell View Post
            Why would anyone find it useful to belittle any work being done on bringing native games to the Linux desktop? There are only two reasons I could see why... either you have something much better to offer other than an opinion (which it doesn't sound like it), or you're too blind to see that Linux gaming benefits from projects like this (even if it isn't your favorite game of the month).

I agree that it would be cool to have something similar to NWN2 run native on Linux, and I'm sure their are other games that are just as new and with just as many people (or more) playing them that would benefit from a Linux port -- for instance Jade Empire, Galactic Civilizations 2, or a native version of WoW. But that is a large step that obviously can't happen overnight. Companies like Linux Game Publishing can't just announce their intention to port a specific game to Linux... porting a game to Linux would have to be worked out with the company who released the game on Windows in the first place. I don't know the details of this process, but I'm sure that it could get complicated very easily and change with every company or game.

The best solution would be for companies like Blizzard, Bioware, Atari, NCSoft, etc. to see that there are many Linux gamers who will buy games for their chosen OS, and then these companies would factor a Linux version into the cost upfront (and possibly limit the total cost of development). While we wait for that to happen for all major developers (not just iD, Epic, etc.), Linux Game Publishing and other similar developers help to increase the size of the Linux gaming population with ports of the best games they can find at this time. This makes it more likely that your next must-buy title will have a Linux port.

If you are even remotely interested in Linux gaming then there is no way this could be seen as anything but positive. If you are frustrated at the slow pace at which the newest and most advanced games are making it to Linux, then direct your griping to the companies who are releasing those Windows-only games... not towards one of the few companies that are trying to do something about it.

Well Said man! I could not have said it better myself.

My stance is I will not buy a game unless there is a Linux Port to it

Comment

I'd have to drop one in one of my machines to find out. I think it will, but you're going to need more CPU muscle to make it play nicer. It runs cleanly and smoothly enough with a GeForce3 class or better GPU. I know that much.
              I've had some of the recent LGP demos not work at all with my Geforce 2 in the past... but Cold War just kept freezing my Radeon Linux box. So, I'm just going to keep using this nice old nVidia hardware. Please do tell me if it works.

Keep the great stuff coming in! Linux needs something.

Comment

We're going to be able to make you happier about things fairly quickly. (Yes, we've got some "newer" games in development right now- VERY "newer"... )
                Hehe... Svartalf doing all the teasing here... I hope it does not disappoint!

Comment

While I understand the thought process of this, whining about it now, or in the future isn't going to do anything. You could try to haggle Atari and who knows? Of course, if it has anything to do with Obsidian I might as well pass... that's of course, a different discussion altogether.

In any case, your post is counter-productive. LGP is trying to get products into Linux. They may not be my cup of tea, but we should all be at least appreciative of what they do.

Comment

Originally posted by niniendowarrior View Post
                    I've had some of the recent LGP demos not work at all with my Geforce 2 in the past... but Cold War just kept freezing my Radeon Linux box. So, I'm just going to keep using this nice old nVidia hardware. Please do tell me if it works.

Keep the great stuff coming in! Linux needs something.
                    Hm... I'd love to get a list of those demos- technically, the GeForce2 is missing some of the things that several of our titles need, but that should be caught unless the driver's mis-reporting features (It's happened with both NVidia and AMD's drivers (when they were ATI...) in the past- I'm sure it still happens from time to time. Regression testing sometimes lets things slip past...). As for your Radeon box, what model Radeon would this be?

Comment

Originally posted by niniendowarrior View Post
                      Hehe... Svartalf doing all the teasing here... I hope it does not disappoint!
                      Well, what I'm about to work on is an award winner and was fairly popular (I went out of my way to buy it for eval (Only Windows title in 5-7 years...) and suggesting to Michael that he talk with the publisher and studio about it- only to find out that he'd already been one step ahead of me during my sabbatical from LGP work whilst I worked for one of the GPU vendors on contract...). It's not the cool thing, though... (Though what I'm about to start work on won't be a slouch and we're pretty sure we're going to secure rights to it's sequel- which will be one of the cool things...)

If he secures what he's finalizing the deals on you'll all be tickled.

And, yes, I'm teasing here, but it's about to look a lot better and while I doubt NWN2 will be done (Ugh... It's a performance pig as best as I can tell from what glimpses I saw from the DX9 driver team's analysis of the game. I can only hope the gameplay's better than the hatchet job Obsidian did with SW:KOTOR2... Had to test it against a new driver design for my past client- god, what were they thinking when they shipped it?) better titles than it ARE on the way. NWN2's only selling point is the module design tools to allow consumer made modules.

Comment

Working...
                      X