Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 28

Thread: Ballistics has gone Gold- demo now available...

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    3,046

    Default Ballistics has gone Gold- demo now available...

    LinuxGames got the scoop from Michael- since it's pretty much official, I thought I would spread it elsewhere for people to go get the demo, etc. I know there's been quite a few people wanting to see this game out and available. Head on over to http://www.linuxgamepublishing.com/info.php?id=13& and get the demo.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    3,046

    Default

    Oh, as an aside... LGP has quite a few things coming out soon... NICE STUFF. >:-)

  3. #3

    Default

    Will it run on a Geforce 2?

    Congrats on another product!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Third Rock from the Sun
    Posts
    6,587

    Default

    Yay another 7 year old game.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    3,046

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by deanjo View Post
    Yay another 7 year old game.
    You know, if I had a dollar for each and every time I heard that line...

    The reality is, it's not 7 years old for Linux- only for Windows. Now, if you're a Windows user, that might be a big deal, but if it plays well, looks good, who honestly cares how old it is? I'm playing it. If I wasn't one of LGP's consultants, I'd be buying it.

    Heh... Try the demo, buy it if you like it. If not, it's just not your cup of tea- I'm not going to twist your arm to buy it.

    We're going to be able to make you happier about things fairly quickly. (Yes, we've got some "newer" games in development right now- VERY "newer"... )
    Last edited by Svartalf; 05-18-2007 at 12:02 AM.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    3,046

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by niniendowarrior View Post
    Will it run on a Geforce 2?

    Congrats on another product!
    I'd have to drop one in one of my machines to find out. I think it will, but you're going to need more CPU muscle to make it play nicer. It runs cleanly and smoothly enough with a GeForce3 class or better GPU. I know that much.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    305

    Default

    I bought the game yesterday, and the demo looks good. I would check out the graphics and screenshots on this game before making any judgements about the quality or age of this new Linux release. It may be an older game, but there are hardly any racing games out there for Linux at all, and this one turns out to be possibly the best looking racing game for Linux available.

    On a side note: I know this isn't the stance that most hard-core gamers would take (and I don't even expect most Linux enthusiasts to take it either), but I think websites like www.linuxgamepublishing.com do alot to help Linux gaming whether or not your favorite new FPS or RPG is listed there. The reason is because they are helping to increase the total number of native Linux games as well as the number developers involved in that process. I say the bigger these companies are, the more likely we are to have a larger number and higher quality Linux games available. I've made it a point over the past year to purchase any native Linux game I like when possible, and sometimes even if I know I won't have as much time as I would like to play that particular game. This is just to support the companies who are willing to get into the Linux gaming business.

    The more Linux gaming companies there are, the better we will eventually have it as Linux gamers.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    305

    Default

    Back the running the game though... I'm having problems running this game on my desktop (full details in my sig). I have a feeling it's due to the fact that my OS is 64-bit, but I'm not entirely sure and haven't looked up the messages very much yet. Here are the messages returned after attempting to start the game:
    Code:
    joshua@desktop:~/programs/ballistics_demo$ ./ballistics_demo
    X Error of failed request:  BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes)
      Major opcode of failed request:  142 (GLX)
      Minor opcode of failed request:  5 (X_GLXMakeCurrent)
      Serial number of failed request:  47
      Current serial number in output stream:  47
    I'm able to run the game fine on my laptop (which is a Thinkpad T40 with 32-bit Ubuntu), and from the looks of the above message I have to think it's related to my 3D drivers. I'm using the Nvidia 100.14.03 driver with desktop effects disabled. I'll look into these messages later on and post if I find anything, but if anyone knows what this is it would be helpful.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    3,046

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by joshuapurcell View Post
    Back the running the game though... I'm having problems running this game on my desktop (full details in my sig). I have a feeling it's due to the fact that my OS is 64-bit, but I'm not entirely sure and haven't looked up the messages very much yet. Here are the messages returned after attempting to start the game:
    Code:
    joshua@desktop:~/programs/ballistics_demo$ ./ballistics_demo
    X Error of failed request:  BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes)
      Major opcode of failed request:  142 (GLX)
      Minor opcode of failed request:  5 (X_GLXMakeCurrent)
      Serial number of failed request:  47
      Current serial number in output stream:  47
    I'm able to run the game fine on my laptop (which is a Thinkpad T40 with 32-bit Ubuntu), and from the looks of the above message I have to think it's related to my 3D drivers. I'm using the Nvidia 100.14.03 driver with desktop effects disabled. I'll look into these messages later on and post if I find anything, but if anyone knows what this is it would be helpful.
    Heh... It's the driver. Doesn't make it less of an issue, but the driver doesn't always play nice with 32-bit apps in 64-bit mode. NVidia's driver does a better job of this than AMD's right at the moment (and I've no earthly idea yet about the Intel drivers- yet...) but it still has some issues from version to version on things. Do me a favor, log the bug over at Linux Game Publishing and I'll get to checking into it in a couple of days when I can get back in front of my 64-bit machine.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Third Rock from the Sun
    Posts
    6,587

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Svartalf View Post
    You know, if I had a dollar for each and every time I heard that line...

    The reality is, it's not 7 years old for Linux- only for Windows. Now, if you're a Windows user, that might be a big deal, but if it plays well, looks good, who honestly cares how old it is? I'm playing it. If I wasn't one of LGP's consultants, I'd be buying it.

    Heh... Try the demo, buy it if you like it. If not, it's just not your cup of tea- I'm not going to twist your arm to buy it.

    We're going to be able to make you happier about things fairly quickly. (Yes, we've got some "newer" games in development right now- VERY "newer"... )
    I tried the demo it and it still looks like it did 7 years ago on my AMD K6-300 / Voodoo card running 98se.

    You want to bring a game that is in dire need of a linux port... Look at NWN2. The original NWN is still probably one of the most popular native linux games.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •