Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: google is killing MPEG LA by droping h264:

Default google is killing MPEG LA by droping h264:

http://blog.chromium.org/2011/01/htm...in-chrome.html

yayyyyyy YES YES YES YES Death to all MPEG LA members like APPLE-

Thumbs down I don't like it mery much, unless...

Quote Originally Posted by Qaridarium View Post
    http://blog.chromium.org/2011/01/htm...in-chrome.html

yayyyyyy YES YES YES YES Death to all MPEG LA members like APPLE-
    Oh no!

Now that Chrome has been my browser of choice because of full HTML5 support on Linux, they're doing like Mozilla and entering into the "hacker culture" of using only FOSS software...

Now, there's a question that will need to be answered in the near future: And what about HTML5 support on Youtube? Are they also going to convert their HTML5 "H264 baseline" videos into WebM format? If so, I'll accept the changes and I think is a great step from a major internet company to implement open solutions. Else, I think this will be a serious regression for some Chrome users (like me), and I'll consider to stop using Chrome (I think programs also need to be functional, not just comply to philosophies).

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by evolution View Post
    Now, there's a question that will need to be answered in the near future: And what about HTML5 support on Youtube? Are they also going to convert their HTML5 "H264 baseline" videos into WebM format? If so, I'll accept the changes and I think is a great step from a major internet company to implement open solutions. Else, I think this will be a serious regression for some Chrome users (like me), and I'll consider to stop using Chrome (I think programs also need to be functional, not just comply to philosophies).

Cheers
    I think this is the plan, namely moving things over. Else they wouldn't have done the purchase of On2 for VP8/WebM in the first place, only to FOSS pretty much all of it that mattered.

I think programs also need to be functional, not just comply to philosophies.
    I think the "philosophy" involved here isn't about open-source, but is rather more like "we're not going to pay these license fees for the sake of a product that we give away for free, especially when doing so helps entrench the necessity for said license".

Quote Originally Posted by Ex-Cyber View Post
    I think the "philosophy" involved here isn't about open-source, but is rather more like "we're not going to pay these license fees for the sake of a product that we give away for free, especially when doing so helps entrench the necessity for said license".
    Not to mention that they already have a h264 solution with them pulling along flash. Why waste resources on a duplicated effort?

Oh no!

Now that Chrome has been my browser of choice because of full HTML5 support on Linux, they're doing like Mozilla and entering into the "hacker culture" of using only FOSS software...

Cheers
    they allready do have convert all videos into webm.
    all new videos are only webm

i think they drop h264 support in 3-4 mondh..

"google is killing MPEG LA"

I don't think MPEG LA is in any danger because of Google

Quote Originally Posted by RealNC View Post
    "google is killing MPEG LA"

I don't think MPEG LA is in any danger because of Google
    because why? no one care about blueray the modern human only consumes on the internet.

means YES GOOGLE KILL MPEG LA!

Quote Originally Posted by Qaridarium View Post
    because why? no one care about blueray the modern human only consumes on the internet.

means YES GOOGLE KILL MPEG LA!
    Do you know what format is used by TV stations?

And why does no one care about Blu-Ray and DVD? Movies make almost as much money from them as in theaters.

Do you know what format is used by TV stations?
    how cares? all statistic shows internet kills the TV over a long therm of period.

And why does no one care about Blu-Ray and DVD? Movies make almost as much money from them as in theaters.
    i talk about the future and you talk about the past