Google removes H264 support from Chrome, pushes open video

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google removes H264 support from Chrome, pushes open video

The web’s open and community-driven development model is a key factor in its rapid evolution and ubiquitous adoption. The WebM Project was ...

So Google wants to remove the H264 support from their web browsers, wants to work even harder on improving WebM/VP8 and works on implementing even more free and open source codecs besides Theora and VP8.

I didn't see that one coming.

**** the 1 minute edit.

Someone remembers Mr. Stallman's YouTube/VP8 open letter to Google? It seems Google are doing even more than he asked for.

Comment

Ooh, this is going to make for some interesting discussions.

"We want open standards... I mean... we want universally supported... I mean... why can't the thing we already have be open... we should go with... no but that's playing right into the hands of... but why are they making me choose..."
      Test signature

Comment

Well chrome ships with flash, so open in every direction Basically nobody needs the h264 video tag when flash is preinstalled.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
          Well chrome ships with flash, so open in every direction Basically nobody needs the h264 video tag when flash is preinstalled.
          Yup, it wasn't so much dropped as removed code that was provided anyways with their preinstalled flash. It wouldn't make much sense for them for example to include gnash code in the browser either with preinstalled flash.

Comment

Bah, posted in the wrong forum: http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28560

Comment

Working...
            X