Dirk Meyer resigns from AMD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Qaridarium
    why do you think the first fusion will be the fastest ?

in 3-4 month they push out the highend fusion- 4core fusion with more shader power on the gpu with 32nm on the cpu side and 22nm on the gpu side.

the fusion right now is 40nm and only dualcore and not so much shaders.

after that--- they chance the cpu part to bulldozer technic and the gpu part to the hd6970 shaders.

maybe 2011 will be a happy fusion year for your highend needs
    Bulldozer Fusion isn't until 2012 on their roadmap. Trinity and Komodo?

Too many codenames, can't remember.. I'm waiting for Trinity though

Comment

Originally posted by evolution View Post
      Yes, I heard those news yesterday night.
      It's unfortunate that AMD is still a big mess (Fusion ATM is a "flop", and their processors are significantly slower than intel i5/i7/SB counterparts )
      Furthermore, it also seems AMD might have a bigger trouble with yesterday's settlement between nVidia and Intel...

AMD has been innovating, and the others have been "copying" them, but are doing better (it seems like the history of the Greeks vs Romans). And that has been AMD's story in the last 4/5 years...

I hope the best luck for the new AMD CEO. They simply can't fail...

Cheers
      fusion is a flop ? its one of the best sucess storys this year, its poised to overtake the atom market by a mile.

Comment

Originally posted by evolution View Post
        Well, if you can use the "graphics card" part to compute data without having to install the OpenCL libraries, then it'll be a nice evolution using these APU's. Else, I think Fusion will be a huge "flop", mainly if their performance per clock won't be, at least, on par with i5/i7 SB CPU's...
        But as most things, we've to wait before giving a opinion!

Cheers
        its meant to be a atom competitor and its also ment for notebooks, netbooks laptops and now even embeeded applications. It'll do fine and it won't be a flop dispite your claims.

Comment

Originally posted by Thatguy View Post
          fusion is a flop ? its one of the best sucess storys this year,
          It is a little early to say it is a "success" yet. Give it a year at least before making such claims as product is barely hitting the shelf.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
            It is a little early to say it is a "success" yet. Give it a year at least before making such claims as product is barely hitting the shelf.
            Financially, yes time will tell.
            Technically it seems to be doing just fine, with raving reviews. The power usage is certainly a big plus, looking forward to something else than intel-based notebooks from OEM selling Linux systems.

Comment

Originally posted by PsynoKhi0 View Post
              Technically it seems to be doing just fine, with raving reviews. The power usage is certainly a big plus, looking forward to something else than intel-based notebooks from OEM selling Linux systems.
              . . . until reading the real-life benchmarks of actual products that have been trickling out the past few weeks and you'll see power usage figures in the 45W idle-60W active areas. Pretty much even with Atom in that department. Also the performance really only stands out from Atom/ION in the 3d performance arena. It's not the Atom killer that AMD was hyping it to be, though it is a slightly better product overall.

Comment

Originally posted by psycho_driver View Post
                . . . until reading the real-life benchmarks of actual products that have been trickling out the past few weeks and you'll see power usage figures in the 45W idle-60W active areas.
                What kind of system is that? My dual-core Ion HTPC takes about 24W from the wall when playing back HD video, and my dual-core Atom server takes about 50W under full load with two >1TB hard drives... even with Intel's crappy power-sucking chipset that needs a bigger heatsink than the CPU.

Comment

Originally posted by PsynoKhi0 View Post
                  "Technically" the current fusions are old tech for the most part. While they offer a tempting alternative to a Atom setup, the CPU is still hanging onto a 8 year old base architecture that has a hard time trying to keep pace with even an old Core 2. This isn't even the first time a x86 cpu manufacturer put graphics onboard with the cpu (Cyrix did it over a decade ago). Despite there being a pretty good selection of Fusion systems out there the feedback that I have been getting is that the atom based netbooks are still dominating in sales despite being equivalent price.

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
                    sure but what is your problem with an old cpu architectur?

this only means you pay less for that stuff.

if i compare atom vs fusion i buy a fusion one
                    I wouldn't, at least for linux uses until there is some hardware decode acceleration, otherwise I'm better off with an Ion solution or a cheap cpu and discreet nvidia card.

Comment

Working...
                    X