Nvidia / intel Settle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by curaga View Post
    And it has been pointed out in response that the x86 license is not transferable. If Nvidia bought Via, it wouldn't get the license.
    IIRC, NVIDIA already has an x86 license anyway since it used to build some kind of x86 chip... Going with ARM design is probably faster (simpler) and cheaper.

Comment

Originally posted by t.s. View Post
      Yep, SB doesn't handle openCL on the IGP, that's what i heard too, and then Apple planned to use SB + discrete (?) AMD. That's what the rumours said.
      If you look at the Intel FAQ and Wikipedia(*), OpenCL support for SNB is under evaluation for this platform, including Linux. However, since Windows support is Alpha software, you can imagine that such support for graphics processors would have lower level, thus is probably not releasable, should it exist. (*) Wikipedia, hey...

I think the point of the AMD Fusion rumor @ Apple, is only wrt. pricing and probably an incentive to get Intel lower its prices. IIRC, Intel chips for Apple products are custom designs (specific additions or removals), so this costed them (Apple) money, I'd think. If you look at the G45 VA-API driver, you can notice that there is specific shader code for the IGP used by Apple.

Comment

Originally posted by gbeauche View Post
        IIRC, NVIDIA already has an x86 license anyway since it used to build some kind of x86 chip... Going with ARM design is probably faster (simpler) and cheaper.
        Nvidia's x86 chip is a 486, IIRC. The patents to that have expired already.
        It's the same as the completely open cpu, can't recall the name to it, it's also on the 486 level.

Comment

[fake edit]

You also see other companies do 486 and 586 cpus (Sis and VortexDX for example). I believe this is due to the same reason.

Comment

[fake edit]

You also see other companies do 486 and 586 cpus (Sis and VortexDX for example). I believe this is due to the same reason.
            The 486's patents ran out in 2007, nvidia has had that 486 since 2005.

Comment

Originally posted by gbeauche View Post
              If you look at the Intel FAQ and Wikipedia(*), OpenCL support for SNB is under evaluation for this platform, including Linux. However, since Windows support is Alpha software, you can imagine that such support for graphics processors would have lower level, thus is probably not releasable, should it exist. (*) Wikipedia, hey...

I think the point of the AMD Fusion rumor @ Apple, is only wrt. pricing and probably an incentive to get Intel lower its prices. IIRC, Intel chips for Apple products are custom designs (specific additions or removals), so this costed them (Apple) money, I'd think. If you look at the G45 VA-API driver, you can notice that there is specific shader code for the IGP used by Apple.
              Sandy Bridge supports opencl on the CPU and not the IGP.

In addition, Intel reportedly plans to support OpenCL on Sandy Bridge, in a roundabout way. Apple has embraced OpenCL by integrating support in to Mac OS X 10.6, and using NVIDIA controllers in its lower-end systems meant that all of Apple's shipping computers were compatible with the standard. The basic architecture of Intel's Sandy Bridge IGP can't support OpenCL functions at all?it's based on an archaic, specialized design that doesn't do GPGPU and will be replaced in Ivy Bridge later in 2011. But, Intel has been working on supporting OpenCL on its CPUs?with four simultaneous threads available on dual-core chips, it may be possible to execute OpenCL code acceptably fast on the CPU itself.

Comment

And it has been pointed out in response that the x86 license is not transferable. If Nvidia bought Via, it wouldn't get the license.
                I didn't say they would get the license from the acquisition, but rather by negotiating with Intel using VIA's patent portfolio.

Some info:
                On the basis of the IDT Centaur acquisition,[2] VIA appears to have come into possession of at least three patents, which cover key aspects of processor technology used by Intel. On the basis of the negotiating leverage these patents offered, in 2003 VIA arrived at an agreement with Intel that allowed for a ten year patent cross license, enabling VIA to continue to design and manufacture x86 compatible CPUs. VIA was also granted a three year grace period in which it could continue to use Intel socket infrastructure.

Comment

Originally posted by BlueJayofEvil View Post
                  I didn't say they would get the license from the acquisition, but rather by negotiating with Intel using VIA's patent portfolio.
                  Interesting, thanks.

Comment

Working...
                  X