Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The DRM Brings Some Fun To The Linux 2.6.38 Kernel

Phoronix: The DRM Brings Some Fun To The Linux 2.6.38 Kernel

David Airlie has just called upon Linus to pull in his DRM tree for the Linux 2.6.38 kernel. With this being the first 2.6.38 DRM pull request and with the merge window still open, this code brings in a fair amount of exciting work. Here's what those using the popular open-source Linux graphics drivers can find in this next kernel release:..

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Fantastic! Can't wait for this!

Comment

On August 17, 2009, the comment was "[KMS Page-Flipping Ioctl] is now ready for prime-time action". It's now 2011 and it will appear in 2.6.38 which is many months away from release.

I don't want to appear ungrateful, especially about something that is Free, but is it possible to pick up the pace a little bit? :-P

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
        o yes really really cool

PCIe2.0 and tilling for the radeon driver brings more speed..
        PCIe 2.0 doesn't bring any real measurable performance boost over PCIe 1.1, at least when we are talking about PCIe X8-X16.

Comment

AMD Open-Source Fusion: The AMD Fusion "Ontario" support had open-source Linux support released in late November. The Mesa / Gallium3D driver changes for the Evergreen-derived graphics on these first-generation AMD APUs have been in the mainline code-base, but now with the 2.6.38 window open, the kernel DRM portion is landing.
          Do you know if support for AMD Fusion "Llano" is being worked on?
          (Basically modified K10.5 cores with Radeon HD GPU-based IGP.)

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
            On August 17, 2009, the comment was "[KMS Page-Flipping Ioctl] is now ready for prime-time action". It's now 2011 and it will appear in 2.6.38 which is many months away from release.

I don't want to appear ungrateful, especially about something that is Free, but is it possible to pick up the pace a little bit? :-P
            It's funny, you've spent the past few days posting nothing but stuff about how much the OSS drivers suck and how we should all use the Nvidia proprietary drivers. Which makes me wonder why you even care about this at all, unless it's just a cheap shot meant to troll the OSS developers.

Comment

You must be confusing me with someone else.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
                You must be confusing me with someone else.
                I do think i confused some of the responses to your comments in with yours. Nevertheless, comments like these make me think you're probably using the proprietary drivers. Or else you should be.

With closed source I can at least update the GPU driver without needing to update the whole freakin' kernel to an experimental, pre-beta version
                From my point of view, the big open source development environment sucks because it makes it difficult for proprietary drivers to integrate with it.
                Are you using the OSS drivers? Or not? If not, then why complain?

For the record, it was Intel that first started working with page flipping, the radeon devs weren't ready yet and were still busy working on other more important issues. Like actually getting the hardware to run.

Comment

Nah, I'm not using fglrx. They suck with Xv (wrong colors, no VSync), the desktop is tearing and they hang the system quite often. So I guess what I really mean to say is that AMD totally sucks in both proprietary as well as open drivers

The reason I don't buy an NVidia is that I prefer Windows for playing games, and the card there is awesome. (And I also don't have the money )

Comment

Look what I said in July 2009...... http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showp...7&postcount=13 I actually said something similar in another post in 2008 http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showp...1&postcount=44

Now, considering how true that statement turned out to be, does someone want another prediction?

Comment

Working...
                    X