Gish now mobile (uses opengles)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gish now mobile (uses opengles)

I and another developer have finished porting Gish (from the humble bundle 1) to the pandora handheld.

This basically means converting the opengl to the mobile version opengles.
    It also means someone with a similar device (i.e iphone/android) with a minimal mount of work could use these changes and also run gish. Most of the work would be to use a compatible egl window setup and user controls.

Currently with music the pandora needs to run at 800 mhz (500 normally) to run the larger levels decently. This is also using gcc generated neon (hw floating point support).

I hope others find this useful.

Source and discussion can be followed here:

Originally posted by Pickle View Post
    I and another developer have finished porting Gish (from the humble bundle 1) to the pandora handheld.
    That's good to hear.

Now that I've gotten a few things out of the way, I can finally re-join the ranks of Pandora developers- Caster and Cortex Command are about to be started by me.

This basically means converting the opengl to the mobile version opengles.
    It also means someone with a similar device (i.e iphone/android) with a minimal mount of work could use these changes and also run gish. Most of the work would be to use a compatible egl window setup and user controls.
    I probably can help a bit there- if I find the time to join in. You basically have three mobile phone profiles out there that use Linux. Android, WebOS, and MeeGo. Not hard to target the two latter ones- they're going to be quite a bit similar to Pandora, with the input layer probably being the only snag there. Android's a bit more difficult, but not undoable.

Currently with music the pandora needs to run at 800 mhz (500 normally) to run the larger levels decently. This is also using gcc generated neon (hw floating point support).
    I would've thought that the stock speed would've been enough for the game. What do you think is bogging it down or have you profiled any of the code yet?

I hope others find this useful.

Source and discussion can be followed here:
    http://www.gp32x.com/board/index.php?/topic/58034-gish/
    Most definitely, Pickle- you're setting the stage for getting quite a bit more games on the Pandora and elsewhere with what you've done. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
      That's good to hear.
      Now that I've gotten a few things out of the way, I can finally re-join the ranks of Pandora developers- Caster and Cortex Command are about to be started by me.
      Great :-)

I probably can help a bit there- if I find the time to join in. You basically have three mobile phone profiles out there that use Linux. Android, WebOS, and MeeGo. Not hard to target the two latter ones- they're going to be quite a bit similar to Pandora, with the input layer probably being the only snag there. Android's a bit more difficult, but not undoable.
      Well i dont have any of these devices, but the source is there for those that do.

I would've thought that the stock speed would've been enough for the game. What do you think is bogging it down or have you profiled any of the code yet?
      I have not performed any profiling. Things that I can tell slow down or have an effect are physics(ropes) and music. I think using gcc neon also helped.

Most definitely, Pickle- you're setting the stage for getting quite a bit more games on the Pandora and elsewhere with what you've done. Thanks!
      Thanks

Comment

A typo in the lighting section, I fixed it up last night and lighting looks much better. The source is been updated pickle.gp2x.de/gish_src.zip

Also I should mention I did not convert the editor code, yet. Not sure if its worth or not.

Comment

A port to the Nokia N900 would be very neat.
          Good job at the port.

Comment

Someone contacted me and is working on it.

Comment

Working...
            X