Some questions about eyefinity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Novae View Post
    I generally play EVE Online and a small amount of WoW plus a bunch of older(early mid 2000's) games.
    I have played EVE-O with hd 5870 eyefinity, 3 monitors, successfully for over a year.

Getting wine to work correctly is being a major struggle, although i'm not sure if this is because i've set things up for my previous nvidia card that are interfering with the new card. Or if its just being a pita.

I was able to get WoW to run, albeit in a separate X session, at 5040x1050 with highest settings and it seemed to run fine. But i have been completely unable to get EVE to run correctly, with it generally locking up at one of the login screens and often causing my system to become completely unresponsive requiring a hard reset.

Can anyone point me to any good guides about the fglrx driver, preferably not ubuntu based guides as they rarely do want i require under gentoo?
    Are you experiencing the known audio bug in wine? See the page on winehq.org for eveonline client for a workaround (I just disable audio altogether, remember to also disable eve voice AFTER logging in but before choosing a character!). Not resolving this results in a hang at some point after choosing a character. There's also some help from ati users in the EVE-O linux thread.

It could also be related to the new char portraits failing. See this workaround.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
      - the desktop expands to a single huge rectangle, meaning the mouse can move outside the visible area. This is a known X server issue and is expected to be fixed in an upcoming release.
      Cool I did not know this was being worked on. Finally I will be able to set up my third monitor above my second one without having all my desktop icons hiding in the blank space above my first monitor!

Comment

Firstly i struggled to get my card to even detect so that aticonfig would make me a basic xorg.conf to work from. Then i finally got into X and it doesn't seem to want to keep my configuration(DFP2-DFP1-DFP3). It always starts mirrored although i can manually adjust it with xrandr fine.
        I had problems with amdcccle initially not writing to /etc/X11/xorg.conf, despite proper root auth. I ended up just saving the amdcccle generated config to a user dir, then manually replacing /etc/X11/xorg.conf.

Comment

Originally posted by mugginz View Post
          That's true for when you want to be able to drag windows between all three screens without restriction, but if you can live with a dual screen desktop plus another desktop you can indeed have an accelerated 3 screen desktop with nVidia.

This can be useful for some but of course the ultimate is to have a properly unified desktop.
          I have to do this at work with my two quadro cards and four monitors (2 twinview, 2 mirrored separate X screens). There's simply no way to have accelerated desktop with more than 1 nvidia gpu. AMD is miles ahead on this front.

Comment

Originally posted by noobish View Post
            Cool I did not know this was being worked on. Finally I will be able to set up my third monitor above my second one without having all my desktop icons hiding in the blank space above my first monitor!
            Heh. So far, they've been able to limit the mouse to the visible area (good) but desktop icons can still be moved outside (bad). Apparently, the latter is a WM issue and should be fixed downstream.

I think this bug was first reported back in 2002 but noone really started working on it until Ubuntu users started complaining...

Comment

Originally posted by noobish View Post
              I have played EVE-O with hd 5870 eyefinity, 3 monitors, successfully for over a year.

Are you experiencing the known audio bug in wine? See the page on winehq.org for eveonline client for a workaround (I just disable audio altogether, remember to also disable eve voice AFTER logging in but before choosing a character!). Not resolving this results in a hang at some point after choosing a character. There's also some help from ati users in the EVE-O linux thread.

It could also be related to the new char portraits failing. See this workaround.
              I dont think it was related to either of these, as disable sound made no difference and the workaround for the portraits also did not help.

Anyway, i've been gaming in windows for the past few weeks, waiting for 11.2 to come out and hopefully fix some of my issues as i hot a brick wall. Just building it now and we'll see how it goes.

Comment

11.2 was better, i was able to play LoL @ 5040x1050 at a decent(although not great compared to windows) frame rate. However i am still completely unable to play EVE. Ultimately i have no idea if this is an issue with the blob driver or some other competent of my system however EVE was happy to run with the current software configuration on a NVIDIA based system which makes me suspect its something to do with the driver.

I've decided to try the latest version of the OSS driver as it has just been given S3TS support which should allow it to run EVE with proper textures.

Here's a link to the gentoo forums details my current issues, http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p...7.html#6587067

Comment

Working...
                X