Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Performance Work Coming Up For Mesa 7.11

Phoronix: Performance Work Coming Up For Mesa 7.11

While Mesa 7.10 was just released, there's already been some work beginning to land in the mainline Mesa code-base for the ATI Radeon Gallium3D drivers to improve the performance...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

r300g seems rather stable in most situations, so any performance gains are welcomed.

Comment

Yeah, I wonder how well r300g/c compare to Catalyst 9.3. I know we've had that r600g comparision recently, but the r300 drivers seem much more mature and prolly have seen more optimization as well.

Comment

Yeah, if only r300g was any usable on my laptop with an Xpress 200m, instead of displaying fuzzy random horizontal lines...

Comment

Originally posted by NeoBrain View Post
          Yeah, I wonder how well r300g/c compare to Catalyst 9.3. I know we've had that r600g comparision recently, but the r300 drivers seem much more mature and prolly have seen more optimization as well.
          The last comparison i saw had it between 50-60%. With the recent optimizations Marek has committed I'd guess we might be over 60% now. It would be an interesting test for Michael to run again. Especially if he could do it on a couple machines - one with a really fast CPU and another with something much slower, to see if the driver is CPU limited.

Comment

Don't forget that r300g covers a very broad hardware spectrum

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
            The last comparison i saw had it between 50-60%.
            r300g covers old R300 chips all the way up to more recent R535+. And it must be difficult to get meaningful comparisons anyway, when Catalyst 9.3 is only compatible with horribly outdated X servers.

Personally, I'm much more impressed with the functionality and stability of r300g than I ever was with the Catalyst drivers, even if r300g's 3D performance has not yet been optimised.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisr View Post
              r300g covers old R300 chips all the way up to more recent R535+. And it must be difficult to get meaningful comparisons anyway, when Catalyst 9.3 is only compatible with horribly outdated X servers.
              I think a comparison would still be useful. Even if other components have helped to speed-up r300g we'd still be able to confirm that there is room for improvement.

Comment

There is always room for improvements. ATI were developing their proprietary driver with a huge budget for 8 years I think? We can't surely compete with that, we can only get closer to its speed...

I think Dave Airlie compared performance between r300g and fglrx some time ago and the numbers weren't very good. I can only say that there has been some new optimizations added recently, so it's now probably better than it was.

Comment

Originally posted by marek View Post
                  There is always room for improvements. ATI were developing their proprietary driver with a huge budget for 8 years I think? We can't surely compete with that, we can only get closer to its speed...

I think Dave Airlie compared performance between r300g and fglrx some time ago and the numbers weren't very good. I can only say that there has been some new optimizations added recently, so it's now probably better than it was.
                  Well you guys tried really hard and did a wonderful job. It's just too late. The military beat up people, sociopath lie constantly model doesn't work at these population levels. They'll kill a bunch of people this year and those people will simply drop out of the collective conciousness by not returning to source. Kind of like the 60's drop out but with teeth.
                  Linux will likely get swallowed by apple in a couple years who will use python to spy on everybody.

Comment

Give us some of that stuff you're smoking, dude.

Comment

Working...
                    X