No announcement yet.

Performance Work Coming Up For Mesa 7.11

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

for latest performance optimizations, what is the required Kernel for r300g?

Comment

Hmm, I noticed that KWin performance (4.6.0) goes down the drain after a while. When it first starts, everything is smooth and nice with 60FPS. After an hour or so, it drops to 20FPS when doing effects. After KWin is restarted, it's smooth again. After an hour, same problem again. Etc.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
        Hmm, I noticed that KWin performance (4.6.0) goes down the drain after a while. When it first starts, everything is smooth and nice with 60FPS. After an hour or so, it drops to 20FPS when doing effects. After KWin is restarted, it's smooth again. After an hour, same problem again. Etc.
        yeah,

I kind of made the same observation with compiz

at the beginning app-switching is faster than ever - but after some time it's slow as usual

Comment

There are a number of commits pushed a few minutes ago. Maybe this will solve the issue:

Comment

Originally posted by pejakm View Post
            There are a number of commits pushed a few minutes ago. Maybe this will solve the issue:

http://cgit.freedesktop.org/mesa/mes...ac146d66bcd923
            thanks to Mr. Paul !

if those were leaks they indeed could be fixed

I'll start the compiler asap - thanks for the info

Comment

Nah, didn't help. The way for me to reproduce this, is by simply going to Google Images and search for something. Then hover the mouse over the images so that they get zoomed a bit. The more you do this, the more performance is lost in compositing. Closing Firefox does not fix it. Only logging out and back in again does.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
                Nah, didn't help. The way for me to reproduce this, is by simply going to Google Images and search for something. Then hover the mouse over the images so that they get zoomed a bit. The more you do this, the more performance is lost in compositing. Closing Firefox does not fix it. Only logging out and back in again does.
                Feels like a memory leak like that should be fairly easy to spot (since it's so consistent). But if it's some sort of tree degradation etc, it could be harder.

Great to see performance improvements by numbers that big!

Comment

another way (for me) to get a significantly declined performance

is to use suspend-to-ram

after waking up compositing is really really slow

restarting X ("zapping") helps as a temporary fix

Comment

Same here. Though I suspend to RAM by mistake because of the stupid KDE bug that forgets about me having changed the "Sleep" shortcut every time I log in

Comment

Working...
                    X