Cedega To Be Replaced By GameTree Linux Software

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LauRoman View Post
    The ability to publish games on GameTree Linux makes me think they want to become something similar to Steam, a sort of app store for ported games. The more i read, the more i get that impresion.
    This would be fair - you pay for the game, not for the software.
    I wonder how this can work for games that are constantly patched (like MMOs)..

Comment

Originally posted by laryllan View Post
      This would be fair - you pay for the game, not for the software.
      I wonder how this can work for games that are constantly patched (like MMOs)..
      The default setting of Steam when launching a game is to first update it then start it. I don't think it is a hard thing to do.

Comment

Originally posted by Remco View Post
        Transgaming competes with CodeWeavers at porting Windows applications. I think they're trying to cut off CodeWeavers' money supply by offering something similar to CrossOver at no cost.
        You mean, like Wine has cut Codeweaver's money supply?

Comment

Originally posted by Tudhalyas View Post
          My only fear is that Cedega will remain a freeware program, but without good support from its developers. If a project like this is no longer being worked on, it will be as good as dead in the next year or two -- meaning that you won't likely be able to use it for newer games.
          Considering the sorry state of Cedega's Eve Online port, that was far worse than Wine running the Windows version, even though Cedega got paid for that mess, I'm not sure there's enough life left to Cedega for it to be able to die.

Comment

Originally posted by miles View Post
            I think Crossover had more to do with that with their Crossover product for games.

Comment

Originally posted by miles View Post
              CrossOver has application-specific hacks and copy protection support bolted onto Wine, which you pay for. GameTree offers the same (they think) at no cost. The catch here is that Wine and CrossOver are in much better shape than Cedega and GameTree.

Comment

CrossOver has application-specific hacks and copy protection support bolted onto Wine, which you pay for. GameTree offers the same (they think) at no cost. The catch here is that Wine and CrossOver are in much better shape than Cedega and GameTree.
                And that the CrossOver developers contribute their work back to Wine (which is open source).

Comment

Originally posted by Tudhalyas View Post
                  My only fear is that Cedega will remain a freeware program, but without good support from its developers. If a project like this is no longer being worked on, it will be as good as dead in the next year or two -- meaning that you won't likely be able to use it for newer games.
                  That's better than a annual-subscription program without good support from its developers, which is what I think Cedega was before this announcement.

Comment

Transgaming competes with CodeWeavers at porting Windows applications. I think they're trying to cut off CodeWeavers' money supply by offering something similar to CrossOver at no cost.
                    It's quite the opposite. Wine and Crossover Games now support Windows games much better.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
                      It's quite the opposite. Wine and Crossover Games now support Windows games much better.
                      That's not the opposite.

Comment

Working...
                      X