Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Update On The HD 6000 Series Open-Source Support

Phoronix: Update On The HD 6000 Series Open-Source Support

Yesterday afternoon AMD released the Radeon HD 6000 series open-source support for all non-Cayman GPUs. We covered the initial information regarding this kernel DRM / Mesa / DDX code drop well, but there's a few more tid-bits of information to pass along now that we have received additional feedback from AMD's John Bridgman and Alex Deucher and have also had time to look at the code patches ourself...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Wasn't Natty supposed to ship with Linux 2.6.38?

Comment

"have also had time to look at the code patches ourself."

Would it be possible to link to the patches? I'm trying to wrap my head around how much code is required in each of the components (i.e. kernel, mesa, drm, etc) for this initial open source 6000 card support.

Comment

Originally posted by leif81 View Post
        "have also had time to look at the code patches ourself."

Would it be possible to link to the patches? I'm trying to wrap my head around how much code is required in each of the components (i.e. kernel, mesa, drm, etc) for this initial open source 6000 card support.
        As for Mesa (R600g/c) i see only chip indetifiers and capability. Not much. R800 and NI have indeed the same 3D programming model.

Comment

wasn't there a vdpau/vaapi/video acceleration state tracker being developed a while back????

gsoc i think

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
            Wasn't Natty supposed to ship with Linux 2.6.38?
            https://wiki.ubuntu.com/KernelTeam/S...ionAndFlavours says its likely. They have tracked 2.6.37 development so far (must be quite a large fraction of kernel rc testing).

Comment

Very nice! Only Cayman is missing but this will also help for the upcoming southern Islands chips. The release of drivers is constantly getting closer to the release of hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by ssam View Post
                https://wiki.ubuntu.com/KernelTeam/S...ionAndFlavours says its likely. They have tracked 2.6.37 development so far (must be quite a large fraction of kernel rc testing).
                Thanks, good to know 2.6.38 is on the table.
                I asked cause this part of the article made me think Canonical already decided to stick with 2.6.37:

While they won't be in the mainline tree until the Linux 2.6.38 kernel, there's a likelihood that Canonical and other distribution vendors will be back-porting this support to their Linux 2.6.37 distributions. If this is done, we may see the support in Ubuntu 11.04, etc.

Comment

Ah that is good news for my sore eyes even if I do not own an R900 chip yet. But it is really good that the development on a stable base is now being much closer to hardware release dates. I guess also the direct use of KMS and gallium looks advanced to me. Right step into the future.
                  Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Working...
                  X