X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: The Fallacy Behind Open-Source GPU Drivers, Documentation

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=ODk5MA
    The main problem is the lack of standardization. GFX cards should comply to a standard like USB mass storage. One driver to address all devices.

Comment

Oh please, the article is right. Plus, as Bridgman said, the FOSS developers refuse assistance from AMD. They only want documentation. What a dumb ass move. They need all the help they can get. Instead of Bridgeman and his bunch working on basic primative support for a new card, they should be getting existing card's - such as my evergreen - fully working with full feature support.

Comment

Where can I learn how to create a GPU device driver for Linux?
        I haven't found yet a good documentation on how to do this.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr James View Post
          Oh please, the article is right. Plus, as Bridgman said, the FOSS developers refuse assistance from AMD. They only want documentation. What a dumb ass move. They need all the help they can get. Instead of Bridgeman and his bunch working on basic primative support for a new card, they should be getting existing card's - such as my evergreen - fully working with full feature support.
          John didn't say anything like that. Additionally, we get help from John all the time, as well as other AMD employees: Alex maintains (!) the 2D radeon driver, and Richard and Cooper wrote the original classic r600 Mesa driver.

Here's a question: Why should anybody be working on your Evergreen when not all of the features of my old Rage 128 are supported?

Comment

What can be done about it?

There should be a push to get the linux graphics situation to where we would like it to be. We need funding to get there, for this, see: http://fundry.com/project
            Existing developers need to have more time to work on linux graphics or drivers, and they need time to mentor new developers who also need to be paid.

* There needs to be a clear roadmap of what work needs to be done to get all pieces together. I would define the goals like this:
            - complete graphics drivers for the three biggest vendors: Ati,
            Nvidia, Intel. Forget the rest for now. Features needed:
            - same software architecture for all three, make a choice and
            stick to it, say Gallium3d+GEM+vdpau etc.
            - feature complete openGL upto latest version (4.1?)
            - video acceleration based on the best api, say vdpau
            - cuda and opencl support
            - performance on par (no worse than say 80%) of the commercial
            drivers

* Find all the missing or incomplete pieces to complete the goals.

* Find the people working on the various subsystems now.

* Work with those people and possibly their employers to organize an influx of new (paid) developers, to mentor them and direct them.

It is like some people building a house together, but their project got stuck. You want to help them finish it but not take it over completely.

You need someone with a clear overview of the situation, and credibility and some fame to do this. Something like Phoronix perhaps?

Comment

Originally posted by MostAwesomeDude View Post
              John didn't say anything like that.
              You calling me a liar? Yes he did say it, in my AMD bashing thread.

Additionally, we get help from John all the time, as well as other AMD employees: Alex maintains (!) the 2D radeon driver, and Richard and Cooper wrote the original classic r600 Mesa driver.
              Get help from....all the time...
              Meaning they are not allowed to participate enough, yes? Only when you hit a dead end, yes?

Here's a question: Why should anybody be working on your Evergreen when not all of the features of my old Rage 128 are supported?
              Because most people (far as I know) are not using that card. Cards are getting obsolete without ever seeing proper support. That is my point. Take a look at the posted specs of users in the appdb.winehq.org for what people ARE using.
              Besides, wasn't it your plan to have as much code shared between drivers of various cards? Your card and my card *should* be developing at the same rate.
              Also it is a very normal thing for me to be bitching about evergreen support as it is my card.

Better luck in taking future pokes at me, man.

Comment

You calling me a liar? Yes he did say it, in my AMD bashing thread.

Get help from....all the time...
                Meaning they are not allowed to participate enough, yes? Only when you hit a dead end, yes?

Because most people (far as I know) are not using that card. Cards are getting obsolete without ever seeing proper support. That is my point. Take a look at the posted specs of users in the appdb.winehq.org for what people ARE using.
                Besides, wasn't it your plan to have as much code shared between drivers of various cards? Your card and my card *should* be developing at the same rate.
                Also it is a very normal thing for me to be bitching about evergreen support as it is my card.

Better luck in taking future pokes at me, man.
                I suggest you go back and re-read that thread - Bridgman never said anything of the sort.

Comment

<inane blathering>
                  You've been trolling awfully hard lately becuase you couldn't be arsed to verify that the hardware you purchased was supported in a way that was satisfying to you.

Tearing into the very people that you rely on to make that hardware work and making libellous statements about them is sure to help the situation, though!

Please go buy nvidia, install their blob, and be done with it already.

Comment

the problem are distris who are leeching. Like Ubuntu.Novell, Redhat and Mandriva can't pay for everything.

Comment

Originally posted by Wyatt View Post
                      You've been trolling awfully hard lately becuase you couldn't be arsed to verify that the hardware you purchased was supported in a way that was satisfying to you.

Tearing into the very people that you rely on to make that hardware work and making libellous statements about them is sure to help the situation, though!

Please go buy nvidia, install their blob, and be done with it already.
                      Mr James is cute, isn't he? Or pathetic. Depending on the point of view.

Btw, my latest mobo has amd onboard graphics. I am contemplating to turn it on and connect an usused display I have standing around.

Comment

Working...
                      X