NVIDIA Says It Will Deliver ARM CPUs Spanning PCs to SCs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Apopas View Post
    I'd love one as well but this 1024x600 resolution cripples it for me actually. I had a common netbook with that resolution and sold it after 2 months to buy one with 1366x768.
    Does anyone know about any ARM netbook with more than 1024x600?
    The only things that matter for me are resolution, weight and long battery life.
    Ya, like you I have been waiting for better displays. I would love to see a netbook with a Retina display.

Comment

Originally posted by marakaid View Post
      "Asus EEE Pad Transformer" is what I (and probably you) have been waiting for, supposedly coming in April this year.
      Removable keyboard with extra battery (8+8 hours total), Tegra2, 1280x800, Android 3.0 (I will change that to Debian or Ubuntu ARM inmediately, whatever comes first).

Comment

Originally posted by prunc View Post
        I have a question: If a smartphone or tablet ships with nvidia graphics and is running an OS with Linux as it's kernel, isn't nvidia forced to ship GPL-ed graphics drivers?
        Unfortunately, no more so than they are forced to ship GPL graphics drivers for current desktop systems.

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
          This is *great* news for open source.... since it creates a nice fracture in the market that is very difficult to deal with in distributing blob software.
          Ugh, hate to break this to you but .Net blobs run everywhere without recompilation. And you can always recompile native Windows applications for a different CPU.

Comment

off topic a bit

arm is nice but an architecture that caught my eye is tilera (works with linux)

would be nice to see on mainstream computers. Not that it matters for most people since they just need an environment (UI) for their programs to work but i have a kink for weird architecture stuff

Comment

So, any bets on how long it will take before we see an actual product based on "Project Denver"? This press release is awfully fluffy. I wouldn't be surprised if they end up just rolling this into Tegra 3/4 and maybe using it to offload some stuff that currently happens on the host for PC GPUs (seems like there could be reuse wins here with ARM-optimized code). The latter would be interesting if it allowed the GPU to present a more abstract interface that could be documented/supported without fear of the usual open-source bogeymen, but that's probably just wishful thinking on my part.

Comment

Originally posted by marakaid View Post
                "Asus EEE Pad Transformer" is what I (and probably you) have been waiting for, supposedly coming in April this year.
                1280x800 huh? Even better than 1366x768...
                I'm all for it, thank you marakaid

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                  Ya, like you I have been waiting for better displays. I would love to see a netbook with a Retina display.
                  Yeah and that. In the one I have right now, you can't watch properly if you turn your head 50 degrees right or left and that sucks when watching movies on bed...
                  If you low the brightness for saving power, the situation is even worse...

Comment

@Apopas:
                    Go search for AMD E-350 (aka. Fusion) laptop, and you'll have it (1366x768) on 10.1" or 11.6". 'bout battery life, well, they said it last for 10 hour..

Lenovo, Acer, and HP. You can search on engadget.com.

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
                      Unfortunately, no more so than they are forced to ship GPL graphics drivers for current desktop systems.

Also git://android.git.kernel.org/kernel/tegra except the repository appears to be corrupt.

Comment

Working...
                      X