Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fglrx not working with Xgl?

Hi everyone,
    i finally got the fglrx driver working with the latest release!

$ fglrxinfo
    display: :0.0 screen: 0
    OpenGL vendor string: ATI Technologies Inc.
    OpenGL renderer string: Radeon X300/X550/X1050 Series
    OpenGL version string: 2.0.6458 (8.36.5)

I wanted to use compiz on my machine (i have Debian/etch), and googling around i found out the best solution with fglrx is to use Xgl + compiz.

So i tried installing Xgl using this How to:
    September, 24 2006 : How To install Xgl on Debian Etch (testing) by sonique, here i describe how to install Xgl on debian etch, this doc work fine, you will see compiz, glitz, gconf, gdm, auto install script, F.A.Q. etc...

Xgl and compiz got installed withouth any problem, when i restart gdm the x server goes up BUT
    if i try again fglrxinfo i get back to MESA stuff, and there's no 3d acceleration.

In my Xorg logs there are no Error or Warnings about it.
    I tried installing Xgl with apt-get and i have the same problem.

If i link back my X server to Xorg fglrx is recognized again!!
    What should i do? Compiz obviously won't work if under Xgl i have no 3d acceleration

Any help would be appreciated
    Thanks

Xgl, while relying on Direct Rendering from the primary Xorg server, does not provide direct rendering to it's own clients. This is not a problem for either beryl or compiz, but will be an issue for most other GL applications.

Adam

Comment

Originally posted by adamk View Post
      Xgl, while relying on Direct Rendering from the primary Xorg server, does not provide direct rendering to it's own clients. This is not a problem for either beryl or compiz, but will be an issue for most other GL applications.

Adam
      It is a problem for compiz. It doesn't startup properly, and all the borders and the panels disapper.

Comment

If compiz isn't working properly, it's not due to the fact that Xgl doesn't provide direct rendering. There is another problem somewhere..

After to launch compiz, are you also starting a window decorator?

Adam

Comment

Originally posted by adamk View Post
          After to launch compiz, are you also starting a window decorator?
          Adam
          No. What is a window decorator?
          Where do i get one for debian/etch?

Thanks

Comment

You'll want to install emerald. There's probably a package that can be installed with 'sudo apt-get install emerald'.

Adam

Comment

Working...
            X