No announcement yet.

There May Finally Be Better ATI Linux Video Playback

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BTW, the survey shows a pretty clear picture of what percentage of people are using more then one display. It isn't even close to 50%.

Comment

Originally posted by devius View Post
      This is your personal view. Remember the graphics survey results? http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag..._results&num=3
      I'm not even talking about Linux here, I mean users in general. The Phoronix survey is self-selecting, it is highly skewed towards a certain subset of users.

I know these numbers don't represent the majority of linux users, but there at least 50% of those who entered the survey that are using more than one display.
      Running on 2 monitors was already possible. What i said was MORE than 2 monitors, as Eyefinity enables. How many people do that, even on Phoronix?

Have you seen those videos showing games running on eyefinity setups? I have to say it's pretty impressive.
      Sure, it's an impressive tech demo. But how many users actually use that? That's kind of my point here, actually. Eyefinity is one of those "gee whiz" features that marketing loves to tout, but there's a reason it wasn't created until about a year ago. Because hardly anyone will ever use it, compared to the more basic features that have been around for decades.

Comment

Fair points, but strictly speaking we were talking about whether other companies pre-announced features they didn't have relative to their competition.

If you are saying that my examples (OpenCL, Eyefinity) were unimportant from a marketing and perception POV to the extent that the companies would not feel compelled to announce that they were working on something similar then I understand your logic even if I don't agree with you
        Test signature

Comment

No, Mr Bridgeman

Hi Yall & Mr Bridgeman,

once upon a thread, zomewhere on the internet, to wit this one, the aforesaid said....

<snip>
          ...but strictly speaking we were talking about whether other companies pre-announced features....
          <snip>

No Mr Bridgeman, what we are actually talking about is, "There May Finally Be Better ATI Linux Video Playback Reply to Thread."

And in point of fact, there is not. Yes, consumers do have there eye on the ball.

Pity that fact, since ATI market directly into the consumer space and since a normal and common and often remarked feature to ATI/AMD, is that better video playback is wanted.

It would be barely adequate, if this was noted in the section, where one downloads the "drivers," on the ATI/AMD site, but it is not.

FYI, Nvidia does this superbly, casually speaking that is.

I eagerly await, further corporate obfustications. Just like the drivers, they involve tearing....

Mr Q, I really do hope you are right this time and I do approve of "hereabouts" very much! :-D

Verily yours,
          GreekGeek.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
            Fair points, but strictly speaking we were talking about whether other companies pre-announced features they didn't have relative to their competition.

If you are saying that my examples (OpenCL, Eyefinity) were unimportant from a marketing and perception POV to the extent that the companies would not feel compelled to announce that they were working on something similar then I understand your logic even if I don't agree with you
            I think OpenCL was important. If Intel didn't say anything ahead of time, then I'm not very pleased with the way they handled that either. However, the reason I didn't really know about that is because Intel hardware sucks and no one is really going to be able to use OpenCL on it anyway. So, just to be clear, this is what i expect from the companies:

ATI/Nvidia: Lastest DirectX and OpenGL support, video acceleration, support for 2 monitors. That's really it, that's all i would expect to hear about ahead of time, if it wasn't already done by the time the hardware/software was ready to support it. Anything else is fine to keep quiet.

Intel is in a special camp because all they do is embedded. What i expect from them is getting enough 3D acceleration to drive composited desktops, video accleration, and dual monitor support. OpenCL support is in a grey area, it's mostly important just so that it's available cross-platform for compatibility.

I just kind of feel right now that you're a used car salesman trying to sell me on how great it is that this car has power locks, when it's completely missing the floor. Power locks are nice and i'm sure that's what the marketing group would tout, but a floor seems a tad bit more important.

Comment

I grew up watching the Flintstones at lunchtime, so I don't really understand the attraction of car floors

There are two separate questions here, I think :

1. Is the fact that we generally do not pre-announce software features & functionality consistent with industry practices (I believe the answer is yes)

2. Are those industry practices what end users and customers would like to see ? (probably not)

I was talking more about 1, while you may have been talking more about 2.
              Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by GreekGeek View Post
                Hi Yall & Mr Bridgeman,

once upon a thread, zomewhere on the internet, to wit this one, the aforesaid said....

<snip>
                ...but strictly speaking we were talking about whether other companies pre-announced features....
                <snip>

No Mr Bridgeman, what we are actually talking about is, "There May Finally Be Better ATI Linux Video Playback Reply to Thread."

And in point of fact, there is not. Yes, consumers do have there eye on the ball.

Pity that fact, since ATI market directly into the consumer space and since a normal and common and often remarked feature to ATI/AMD, is that better video playback is wanted.

It would be barely adequate, if this was noted in the section, where one downloads the "drivers," on the ATI/AMD site, but it is not.

FYI, Nvidia does this superbly, casually speaking that is.

I eagerly await, further corporate obfustications. Just like the drivers, they involve tearing....

Mr Q, I really do hope you are right this time and I do approve of "hereabouts" very much! :-D

Verily yours,
                GreekGeek.
                [offtopic]
                Yes, nVidia does it superbly, most of the times, but try for intance the new Adobe Flash (HTML5 FTW, btw) with VDPAU acceleration and see by yourself the results...

[ontopic]
                About the video decoding, I hope this time is for real, because this is a lacking feature for some ATI users (altough we've a reasonable video acceleration via VAAPI on Linux, but it's not working 100% as we wanted).
                But telling the truth, nVidia, ATM, is far beyond ATI in terms of video acceleration features on Linux (personally, I think even Intel is catching up ATI with Sandy Bridge... ).

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by evolution View Post
                  But telling the truth, nVidia, ATM, is far beyond ATI in terms of video acceleration features on Linux
                  Hey, AMD's video acceleration on linux only lacks one feature!! That's right, only one. It's the "It works" feature. Other than that it's pretty loaded with features.

Seriously... I tried compiling the latest VA-API libraries (I think that was what I was trying to do) and some other library that supposedly was required but it all failed (ahhhh the joys of compiling stuff when you don't know anything about C,C++). I might try again in a month or so, this time putting more effort into it.

Comment

Just yesterday, I tested a 1080p video on my Ati system. On Windows (WMP12), it ate 50% on two cores (3.2GHz) and was choppy when seeking. On Linux (Rhythmbox), it ate 40% and seeked perfectly.

How come, since Ati's Linux drivers don't offer hardware acceleration?

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
                      I guess maybe i'm falling into the trap of considering fglrx a desktop driver. I suppose if you only consider the workstation market then maybe driving a ton of monitors is closer to being as useful. It's just that normally you'd consider the workstation market the niche, not the other way around.
                      It's the same on Nvidia. Both companies support Linux because workstation customers demand it. That's all.

Comment

Working...
                      X