Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 2.6.37 Kernel Released

Phoronix: Linux 2.6.37 Kernel Released

The stable Linux 2.6.37 kernel has now been released. This is the Linux kernel that incorporates Broadcom's new WiFi driver, proper Intel Sandy Bridge support, Btrfs file-system improvements, many open-source graphics DRM/KMS updates, and much more...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Is "The ~200 Line Linux Kernel Patch That Does Wonders" patch included in this kernel? See http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?ite...2&page=article to know what I mean

And does it have Transparent Hugepage Support?

Comment

That much loved patch is coming with 2.6.38 only. You can still apply it yourself I believe, if you feel like it.

Comment

Isnt the BKL (Big Kernel Lock) almost removed in this release? If so, then Linux maybe finally can start to scale ok.

Comment

Originally posted by kebabbert View Post
          Isnt the BKL (Big Kernel Lock) almost removed in this release? If so, then Linux maybe finally can start to scale ok.
          The BKL is not being used by most parts of the kernel for a long time now. The few parts that remained are not performance-sensitive. So there won't be any performance increase. Furthermore, the remaining parts that were using it now switched to mutexes, and that means they still won't execute kernel code in parallel. The BKL is being removed simply for cleaning up the kernel a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by kebabbert View Post
            Every time you mention poor scaling, you're always comparing 3-4 year old kernels anyway, so I'm not sure what difference it would make to you.

Comment

Originally posted by devius View Post
              That much loved patch is coming with 2.6.38 only. You can still apply it yourself I believe, if you feel like it.
              Thanks for the information. That's probably why I couldn't find it mentioned in the Release Notes, but just wanted to be sure

Comment

Working...
              X