Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

VIA Launches A Graphics Card. Will It Work With Linux?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BTw Linux support is mentioned:

Whether or not in practice is up for testing.

Comment

You are really spending your money on such an uncertain thing? Well, that is either courageous or ... well, foolish

Indeed the manual says something about
      "Operating System: Windows XP, Windows 7 and Linux" but reading shows limited Windows support (Vista not mentioned, not that Vista would be good for anything...), no BluRay for XP and Linux was mentioned with x86 (so probably no amd64 support).
      99,9 % of the pages show Windows procedures and problems. "Linux" is just mentioned 2 times without any further hint. X.org or something not at all.
      It's your money, I wish you luck but I am sure that you'll find out the many issues soon.

And I wouldn't spend any money on VIA anymore. Just had years of pain with their stuff (well, mainly the GPU side, the rest was so-so) I'll stay away from them.
      Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by Fatfool View Post
        I will PERSONALLY get 2 of them, one for Windows HTPC usage and the other to stick into a minix 780G running Ubuntu and see if the card's driver issues throttle me. Wish me luck.
        If you are happy with one driver update per 12 months, don't upgrade your distro ever and don't care about 3d graphics then why not? Please blog/post about your experience, it will help others make more informed decisions - one way or another.

Comment

Originally posted by DeepDayze View Post
          Via's chips are definitely horrible under Windows and not just Linux (think their old MVP chipsets) It's all just cheap, weak hardware not really worth bothering with.
          MVP? Well, if that's the time scale let's start talking about the i810, i820, AMD-750 and 761, and the NForce 4.

Via has had plenty of decent chipsets. They've had their share of horrid ones, like every other manufacturer.

Comment

Originally posted by locovaca View Post
            MVP? Well, if that's the time scale let's start talking about the i810, i820, AMD-750 and 761, and the NForce 4.

Via has had plenty of decent chipsets. They've had their share of horrid ones, like every other manufacturer.
            Nforce 4 is fine, still rocking on my Linux server-o-box. Not as good as Nforce 2, maybe, (SoundStorm!) but solid nonetheless.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
              Nforce 4 is fine, still rocking on my Linux server-o-box. Not as good as Nforce 2, maybe, (SoundStorm!) but solid nonetheless.
              Probably not bad as a server but the PCI latency issues make it fairly craptacular for anything that uses audio.

Comment

I gave the MVP chips as an example of one of their most horrid chipsets ever made (way back around 2000-2001)

Their most recent chipsets are a mixed bag though

Comment

Originally posted by DeepDayze View Post
                  I gave the MVP chips as an example of one of their most horrid chipsets ever made (way back around 2000-2001)

Their most recent chipsets are a mixed bag though
                  Right, that's my point. MVP were actually 90's, Socket 7 stuff. No point in crucifying companies for decisions they made 6 generations ago. At least, on the chipset front.

Comment

Probably not bad as a server but the PCI latency issues make it fairly craptacular for anything that uses audio.
                    It served as an XMBC/Nvidia media box before that. Can't say I had any issues with audio latency - not as good as the SoundStorm (3ms ASIO latency!) but not awful either.

Comment

Originally posted by sirdilznik View Post
                      Who in their right mind would ever buy a discrete video card from VIA (or S3 for that matter) regardless of their OS choice? I understand some people might get stuck with an onboard chipset and have to make do, but to actually consciously decide to buy a discrete card from VIA just boggles my mind. I don't even care what the price may be when there are discrete cards from both AMD and nVidia in the $50 range that are at least as powerful and certainly far better supported.
                      How does power consumption of VIA cards compare to NVIDIA/ATI?

Comment

Working...
                      X