Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kano View Post
    @deanjo

Usally when you connect a pc to a tv/tft you use 60 hz. Of course you could switch but who does that? My tft always runs at 60 hz and it looks good, no matter of 24000/1001, 25 fps or whatever... Do you really use the fps of the movie for your output refreshrate?
    I don't know if deanjo does, but I certainly match my TV refresh to the video refresh. 99% of the time this is 24fps and it really does look better.

Comment

Here is even a related How-To that is stickied on XBMC forums:

The setting is found in XBMC here:

Comment

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
        I don't know if deanjo does, but I certainly match my TV refresh to the video refresh. 99% of the time this is 24fps and it really does look better.

You bet I do.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
          2.5 times better in what?
          General graphics performance: http://techpowerup.com/reviews/Intel...00K_GPU/8.html

Comment

Originally posted by efikkan View Post
            OK, just wondering what you were referring to.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
              Touch? Michael. Entirely correct, and a rightful shot at Intel.

Then it's a good sign that Linux is getting more publicity, maybe even resulting in the press kits having built drivers

Re the Sandy encoding support - anyone know if it will merely accelerate x264 (keeping its excellent quality), or will it be a more complete block like the GPU encoders (whose quality sucks, incidentally)?
              according to Francois (Piednoel Senior Performance analyst at Intel Corp Santa Clara ... ) the Intel guy writing the initial Sandy bridge ASIC x264 code.

he said that it has pretty much all of x264's equivalent routines inside the HW ,so it's just a matter of what the API he wanted help defining gives you access to, id imagine most Video routines as found in FFmpeg can be made to use it in some form given that x264 dev's preferred Decoder etc.

but that's to be determined right now, and OC reliant on Francois if you believe his work behind the scenes at Intel to open up this ASIC for Linux and perhaps other OSS OS code access too (AROS etc) etc.

Comment

Please leave the "obligatory booth babes" crud until the end of all other CES related articles. I'm getting sick and tired of clicking on all these show links only to have them featured over and over and over on tech sites. Hardware first, adolescent eye candy last.
                True, Michael would be Far better served if he were to get in contact with Francois (he popped up again in his doom10 thread today then disappeared) and see if he's also going to the show, as He May (or not) be able to sort out access to these Sandy bridge 4 core i7 etc for the phoronix tests.

If You Do get access Michael, please Be sure to get a copy of that ASIC x264 code from Francois and Also run that in your tests along side the normal CPU x264 run's.

in fact pop over to the #x264dev IRC channel and ask them, DS etc about running real informative x264 Encode benchmark tests with the very latest code base etc, most PR web reviews to date do it wrong ( or as Dark_Shikari likes to say/put it "pants on head retarded" ) and do not provide the required data to really know where the real CPU improvements are.

a simple

make checkasm;./checkasm

checkasm --bench

results on each CPU you run tests on would probably be a good start to 2011 benches.

Comment

Originally posted by gbeauche View Post
                  Initial testing shows much better quality than CUDA or Stream based accelerators. At least for Windows (Media Espresso 6). However, since this is a dedicated ASIC, the Linux implementation will have the same quality.
                  You Got access then , good.

Comment

Arrgh, so close intel but "no 23.976 fps playback" "The limitation is entirely in hardware".

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4083/t...-2100-tested/7
                    thats OK, its about time the world just started using the far more sane generic Uk PAL (24) 25,50,100, and sooner than later the 200 FPS/freq's instead of those crazy USA dot whatever frame rates that cause lots of coding/timing problems and wasted time in the digital video age LOL.

No..i think its just a lack of time before they fix that programming error

Comment

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
                      which is Not surprising given film's are filmed in 24fps.

it's not a problem AFAIK as x264/ffmpeg has the options to re-code to a given frame rate etc , and i assume the SB ASIC x264 code will also expose the right API to use these options to you (if not now then sooner rather than later)

Comment

Working...
                      X