Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Happy New Year! A Big Linux GPU Comparison!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

happy 2011 to you too

am, sure this new year will be even more exciting

Comment

"I'll see that I stay in my editorial role at Phoronix until at least this event is announced), the open-source GPU drivers continuing to be improved, etc"
      Good!

Your readers appreciate it!

Comment

Integrated Graphics benchmarks, please

I'd like to see benchmarks between the integrated graphics offered by Intel and AMD, since built-in graphics is bound to be the future of mainstream computing. I know, it's the high-end cards that attract the most press and the highest paying sponsors. But let's face it, the fabled year of the Linux is going to start, if ever, at the low-end, the market segment serviced by IGPs. Any desktop computer that requires high-end video cards are likely to be running Windows.

Just my $.02.

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
          Steam for Linux is going to be _the_ subject of the year.

Also the transition to GNOME 3 etc.
          I'm still not holding my breath on steam...

Comment

Woo-hoo. Steam for Linux... I would much rather have "proper fully functioning drivers" be the topic of 2011.

Comment

While I don't have as low of an opinion of the linux video drivers as you, the one sure way to get companies to devote more manpower to linux drivers is a bigger market share, and one of the things that is hindering that is lack of linux games.

Bit of a chicken and egg... but both ati and nvidia binary drivers are in a good enough state to run source engine.

Not that I'm saying steam is comming, but if it did, chances are it could only help your cause...

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
                "no one is going to complaint"... Won't happen.
                I know... I'll probably be one of those complaining anyway.

Comment

@AdrenalineJunky: FOSS drivers are half baked - except git, 3/4 baked. Proprietary drivers - don't get me started...

Comment

Computer "gaming" is over-rated

Originally posted by AdrenalineJunky View Post
                    While I don't have as low of an opinion of the linux video drivers as you, the one sure way to get companies to devote more manpower to linux drivers is a bigger market share, and one of the things that is hindering that is lack of linux games.
                    Computer "games", at least the sort that requires fancy 3D graphics, is over-rated. Flash games are by far the most popular. It's not the lack of linux games that's hindering linux adoption, but the dismal performance of Flash under linux.

Comment

Originally posted by IGFX View Post
                      Computer "games", at least the sort that requires fancy 3D graphics, is over-rated. Flash games are by far the most popular. It's not the lack of linux games that's hindering linux adoption, but the dismal performance of Flash under linux.
                      Flash may be another issue, but I've seen enough "i'd consider linux if x game worked" comments to disagree with games not being a big factor.

Originally posted by Mr James View Post
                      @AdrenalineJunky: FOSS drivers are half baked - except git, 3/4 baked. Proprietary drivers - don't get me started...

I'll agree with the foss portion, at least on the amd side. Nvidia is worse off when it comes to foss.

But again, I haven't had many issues with catalyst.

Comment

Working...
                      X