Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A New Video Highlighting Unigine's OilRush Game

Phoronix: A New Video Highlighting Unigine's OilRush Game

Two weeks back we published an exclusive preview of Unigine's OilRush as we happen to have access to the internal builds of this upcoming multi-platform, real-time strategy game. Besides that preview article where plenty of screenshots can be found, we also recorded a quick video of this oil-themed game. Now though Unigine Corp has put out a much longer (12 minutes) video that goes over this visually-intense game that will premiere with a native Linux client...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Shit.. I can't hear anything he says

Comment

I've added subtitles to the video (see "Transcript" feature on YouTube)

Comment

Originally posted by Micket View Post
        Shit.. I can't hear anything he says
        try turning up the volume.

Comment

Looks like it turned out pretty good. From what I can see, the mechanics seem to be sound. I hope it's fun to play.

Comment

Originally posted by binstream View Post
            I've added subtitles to the video (see "Transcript" feature on YouTube)
            Thanks! (lalala message limit)

Comment

Some small items show in there, like boats going through icebergs and planes flying weird, but otherwise it's looking rather good.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
                Some small items show in there, like boats going through icebergs and planes flying weird, but otherwise it's looking rather good.
                It's already fixed in unstable branch

Comment

The game environment looks beautiful, the HUD needs some work to compliment it better but for this early in development the demo is very impressive technically.

The game looks very simplistic with regards to base building which I quite like, Ground Control is hands down one of the best RTS games ever and it completely cut that bit out.

I hate to say it but the game concept as a whole seems some what boring and poorly contrived. I suspect the game will shine for multiplayer. To me it feels like Quake 3 when I wanted Half-Life. The Unigine guys are great and I am very pleased to see that they invest so heavily in gaming on Linux, they are however clearly engine guys though and not storytellers. It is still early though and they tend to be good at surprising me so time will tell if this game becomes a classic for other reasons than Linux gamers buying millions (HIB afterglow.. I'm allowed to optimism for a bit)

Hopefully they will start taking pre-orders soon. Between OilRush and Achron, I think I might finally have some good RTS fun which I haven't in a decades time.

Comment

We are working on single-player storyline as well, don't worry =)

Comment

Working...
                    X