VP8 vs. h.264

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by madbiologist View Post
    Of course what we really care about is hardware acceleration of the above, so as to experience good frame rates and low power consumption. But of course hardware acceleration is not much good without some software to utilise it.
    We do? Last time I checked, we don't really have hardware acceleration on Linux. Flash/html5 is not accelerated at all, except for a tiny minority of users (I have Ati, Intel and Nvidia systems and none of those accelerates video out of the box).

Comment

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
      We do? Last time I checked, we don't really have hardware acceleration on Linux. Flash/html5 is not accelerated at all, except for a tiny minority of users (I have Ati, Intel and Nvidia systems and none of those accelerates video out of the box).
      Not trying to dispute your general statement, but it was recently discovered that the next Flash player (10.2) will support VDPAU for NVidia cards in Linux (Phoronix did an article on it recently).

Comment

Originally posted by Veerappan View Post
        Not trying to dispute your general statement, but it was recently discovered that the next Flash player (10.2) will support VDPAU for NVidia cards in Linux (Phoronix did an article on it recently).
        I'll believe that when I see it running on my amd64 box.

Comment

I'll believe that when I see it running on my amd64 box.
          It's running here.

Comment

Check out this long thread about it.

Comment

Let's not forget that Flash won't die just because a bunch of Linux users happen to not like it. Meaning that even if it wouldn't support H.264 accel under Linux, it would be of no consequence.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                Check out this long thread about it.
                http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showt...ht=adobe+vdpau
                According to that thread, the 64bit version doesn't support video acceleration. What gives?

Not that I'd ever install a beta version of Adobe's crap - even their 'stable' releases feel like alpha-quality software at the best of times.

Comment

According to that thread, the 64bit version doesn't support video acceleration. What gives?
                  There is no 64bit version of it.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
                    There is no 64bit version of it.
                    Ya, no native 64-bit yet but the 32-bit works fine through the wrapper for now. I would expect by the 10.2 release however that there will be a native 64-bit with vdpau support.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                      Ya, no native 64-bit yet but the 32-bit works fine through the wrapper for now.
                      The previous 32bit-over-64bit-wrapper version has a 50% chance of crashing whenever I close a tab with flash. Does 10.2 fix this issue?

I would expect by the 10.2 release however that there will be a native 64-bit with vdpau support.
                      We've been waiting for a 64bit version since flash 9.x and all we get is unsupported alphas. I'm not so optimistic anymore.

Comment

Working...
                      X