GIMP 2.8 Is Struggling To Make It Out The Door

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by madjr View Post
    yes, i will also accept global warming and keep on driving my big truck instead of riding my bike or taking public transportation the majority of times, because like you said we normal people cant do anything about it and need to accept everything as is..

in case your missed it what matters in open source is the code everything else is just noise

noone will use something that doesn't has the needed features (you get those with codes) and for sure he will not use it because someone said its cool.

if you can code help (if you want of course) or there is not much you can do about it.

Comment

It looks like this project is suffering from seriously poor leadership and project management...The result is lackluster participation of new contributors (when core developers are busy with other things); missed scheduled goals; and missing design spec for single-window mode.

Looking through the logs...
      => http://git.gnome.org/browse/gimp/log/

...It seems like Michael Natterer is carrying most of the load. I seriously wonder what would happen if he throws in the towel.

Comment

What makes you come to the conclusion that it's 'poor leadership and project management'??? The problem seems pretty obvious, there's not a whole lot of developers interested in working on Gimp on their spare time (it's a spare time project), those few who are working on it have done an incredible job but sometimes real life makes that spare time go away and there will be less work done.

As for throwing in the towel, if anything kills the enjoyment of programming an open source project on your spare time it's whiners complaining about how slow development is. I have nothing but admiration for those who can tolerate it.

Comment

Originally posted by XorEaxEax View Post
          What makes you come to the conclusion that it's 'poor leadership and project management'??? The problem seems pretty obvious, there's not a whole lot of developers interested in working on Gimp on their spare time (it's a spare time project), those few who are working on it have done an incredible job but sometimes real life makes that spare time go away and there will be less work done.
          exactly, and to help with real life, usually donations can help (at least in the short term).

some of us have donated a small amount, but a few others are already pitching in larger sums
          GIMP 2.8, a.k.a. 'the one with single window mode', won't see release on December 26th as planned. But why? Read on to see.

i wish they would use the methodology and activities that the blender guys use to organize and grab specific amount of donations for the things they need.

Comment

This is really unfortunate. I've been running gimp 2.7.1 for a month or so, and it's BY FAR the most usable gimp ever. In fact, which there's a number of features from photoshop that I miss, the advantages of 2.7 are so numerous that I prefer it at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by XorEaxEax View Post
              What makes you come to the conclusion that it's 'poor leadership and project management'???
              The fact that roughly ten years ago patches were contributed to the project that made the gimp support more than 8-bit color depth, this made the gimp better than photoshop at the time. When up for review those patches were rejected unanimously for a vaporware solution that has taken 10-years to provide preliminary support for 16-bit color depth.

That is poor management.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                I would settle for just one good and full featured video editor in linux. Unfortunately that hasn't come about yet.
                Your best bet is probably Kdenlive.

Comment

Originally posted by dashcloud View Post
                  Your best bet is probably Kdenlive.
                  Not even close, it can't even do mid GOP cuts on h264.

Comment

Originally posted by yogi_berra View Post
                    The fact that roughly ten years ago patches were contributed to the project that made the gimp support more than 8-bit color depth, this made the gimp better than photoshop at the time. When up for review those patches were rejected unanimously for a vaporware solution that has taken 10-years to provide preliminary support for 16-bit color depth.

That is poor management.
                    I agree, if you need 16 bit/channel the only viable option is still cinepaint.
                    ## VGA ##
                    AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
                    Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Working...
                    X